× Post your interesting, useful and/or unique bush mechanics solutions here for others to smile at and maybe learn from.

Dyneema rope

More
07 Mar 2019 18:09 #1 by packhorse
packhorse created the topic: Dyneema rope
Does anyone hold an opinion on dyneema winch rope. E-bay scares me sometimes but they show 10mm sk75 rope at a fair price. In your experience would this pull an Oka out of mud on a direct pull. It claims 10 tonne break load, to me that feels a bit light.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2019 05:34 #2 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Dyneema rope
It's a fair while since i researched mine. I got a Master Pull line sent over, they were on sale at the time and are the ducks guts... When i was researching i read an article where they tested to break a bunch of different ropes and there is a huge difference between what ropes (and straps for that matter) are rated at versus what they can do with a lot of the cheaper brands (even some of the not cheap brands!), i'm talking significant differences. I haven't looked into it recently but i'm guessing if this dyneema rope is genuine it will be up to specs. Also, the master pull line i got came with end fittings to fit to my winch which is best done by the manufacturer with synthetic rope (again IMHO), that's one beauty of steel rope, you can do it yourself (it's the only one mind you!).

On the note of 10,000lb rope being strong enough, in my opinion, no. That's a rating of about 4.5T which is less than the oka anyway before you get it stuck in anything! Might be good enough with a snatch block but then you're better off getting say a 16mm rope run once at half the length...

Cheers, alister

More
08 Mar 2019 11:52 #3 by packhorse
packhorse replied the topic: Dyneema rope
agree with you Alister, think I'm leaning to the 16mm as I intend to keep the winch stored for rear or forward use and the weight will be a factor. The rope I was watching is 24,000 lb which is a bit more than 10 tonne but I still wonder if that would suck 6 tonne out of mud. Definately a pulley to reeve it once which is why I wanted a full spool of 10mm x 30 mtrs to gain me at least 15 mtrs. I'll watch and see if anyone has trialled that particular rope as I still have the drum full of steel wire.

More
08 Mar 2019 17:11 #4 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Dyneema rope
No point in having a winch rope that is a lot stronger that the force that you can apply to it.
I have had a Dynema rope on my Warn 16.5Ti for the last 15 years. I imported it from Masterpull in the USA. It was not available in Oz at that time, or if it was it was much more expensive.
Memory says it is 11mm & 10T, but it is a long time ago now.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
08 Mar 2019 17:31 #5 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: Dyneema rope
Here is everything you wanted to know about Dyneema rope.
www.dynamicarope.com.au/drange.htm

lang

More
08 Mar 2019 17:33 #6 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Dyneema rope
Couldn't remember what i got so i searched my emails and it came up from 2013:
- 7/16" x 100' of Superline - don't know what the equivalent is these days...
It went on a M15000 Warn winch. It looks like they have gotten better at making it though, looking at the master pull website they have improved the specs since i bought mine i think...
Cheers, alister

More
09 Mar 2019 06:15 #7 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Dyneema rope
I got an M1200o for a good deal, which was like getting a syringe for free.
It had no cable.

So many $ later the master pull came in as a 3/8 rope, in 75'.
Also got a larger externsion rope, so that I can put a snatch block to that and double the pulling force,
And some metal buckles etc.

Now to decide on a front or rear install, or using a 2" trailer hitch and moving it as the need suits from one end to the other.
I would envision a solo effort to pull backwards in the direction that I enter the drama??

More
09 Mar 2019 16:31 #8 by Peter_n_Margaret

Holmz wrote: …...using a 2" trailer hitch and moving it as the need suits from one end to the other......

That is what I did with mine, but can also go one step further and operate it "remote".

This works better than ever anticipated. The winch can be attached anywhere on the vehicle (or even another vehicle or something else)
The electrical "extension cord" is 4m long. An unexpected feature is that the winch always points in the direction of the cable, so it always winds onto the drum well and does not bunch up on one side.
Theoretically, I can put the OKA back onto its feet if it happened to fall over. Theoretically, that is.
The yellow spreader has been incorporated in the main mount since the pic was taken. The 2 "ropes" are 12T Dynema.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
11 Mar 2019 10:06 #9 by packhorse
packhorse replied the topic: Dyneema rope
Thankyou for the feedback and Lang for the chart. Peter, your setup is exactly what I had in my mind for the same reasons, so, glad to see that it works well.
Chhers
Packhorse

More
11 Mar 2019 10:52 #10 by Peter_n_Margaret
Bear in mind that there is some weight and dollars in that "extension cord".
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
12 Mar 2019 04:28 #11 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Dyneema rope
Yes I think from memory it cost me close to $300 for the cable to get juice to the back of 210

More
12 Mar 2019 06:23 #12 by Peter_n_Margaret
I spent time in the local recycle scrap yard and bought a length of 70mm2 cable at scrap copper price. Put it inside another hose for extra protection and a fuse at each end. It connects the crank battery to the house batteries via a VSR.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214