Dry cleaned air filter

More
06 Jun 2015 06:59 #1 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis created the topic: Dry cleaned air filter
I have my outer air filters dry cleaned which costs about $25. The filter is tested for integrity and I think can only be done about half a dozen times. You need a couple of air filters as it takes a few weeks.
Is anyone else reusing their air filters?
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2015 07:40 #2 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Dry cleaned air filter
Hi Peter, I replace both inner and outer filters every two years. The outer filter gets blown out with the compressor as required and I find it amazing how much volume of dust it can hold. We tend to do one outback trip of around 12-14,000 Km per year with about another 2-3,000 Km per year of shorter trips, so on average about 15,000 Km per year. Also we live on a dirt road so I guess usage and environment are the main factors here.

One thing I've found over the years is that a clean looking air filter isn't necessarily unblocked and reckon perhaps weight is a better indicator of the air cleaners state. I've always meant to weigh a new filter and see how it changes over its 2 year life but haven't actually done so yet. The weight difference between the old and new filters was quite noticeable when I changed them last year, even after blowing out the old one. Both were Fleetguard filters.

As for dry cleaning, never given it a thought before; I just blow them through (from the inside out). What I have found though is that having cut most of the internal baffling out of the filter box is that the dirty area on the outside of the filter is more evenly spread over its surface than it was with the standard setup which I reckon is a better setup. Also a compressor without an air tank is useless for blowing out an air filter.

Even a simple 'pat down' can release a lot of dust.

Dave Gray doing a bit of maintenance at Sandfire after last years desert crossing.

Deano

More
06 Jun 2015 08:21 #3 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Dry cleaned air filter
Yes. Air Filter Cleaners here in Adelaide do it. Great, they test the filter for integrity prior to cleaning. I never blow out the filter with an air gun as i found it put small holes in the filter and could not be cleaned

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David

More
08 Jun 2015 08:22 - 08 Jun 2015 08:29 #4 by OKA 138
OKA 138 replied the topic: Dry cleaned air filter
This may help those who want to do it themselves,i have been doing this with truck and machine air cleaner filters for 40 years and have never dusted an engine.The test to inspect the filter is simple and can be done with a small torch or lead light, the inner filter should not cleaned with air or detergent but should be inspected each time the outer is cleaned.

The link has not come through I will attempt to rectify that but it can be found under Cummins Cleaning air filter elements
Last Edit: 08 Jun 2015 08:29 by OKA 138. Reason: link disappeared
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Joseph Baz, OKABloke

More
08 Jun 2015 08:47 #5 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Dry cleaned air filter
This is interesting reading,
Thanks Dave

File Attachment:

File Name: CleaningAi...mins.pdf
File Size:144 KB

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, OKA 138