XT emergency parts list

More
17 May 2017 16:48 #1 by packhorse
packhorse created the topic: XT emergency parts list
Call me lazy but does anyone have a list of the important bits to travel with beyond the Telstra line, eg, radiator hoses, uni's, etc. I need to get a quick kit together of these necessities and their easy to gather part numbers for here on the West side. This would be greatly appreciated and also an insight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2017 17:05 #2 by Paul
Paul replied the topic: XT emergency parts list
lol ,a big bottle of whiskey, u can fix all, as it is just a big 4x4

98OK
A0

More
17 May 2017 22:31 #3 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: XT emergency parts list

packhorse wrote: Call me lazy but does anyone have a list of the important bits to travel with beyond the Telstra line, eg, radiator hoses, uni's, etc. I need to get a quick kit together of these necessities and their easy to gather part numbers for here on the West side. This would be greatly appreciated and also an insight.

Mick the flippant answer would be "depends on what you're going to break".

A more considered response would be: don't worry too much about spares (since you don't know what you're likely to need), but fill a box with simple things, like sticky tape, bit's of metal and rubber, fencing wire, galvanised cable (clutch cable fix), tubing/hose of various sizes, tent pegs, M6, M8 nuts and bolts, Tek Screws and hand tools. Then you can use your inner bush mechanic to fix most things.

Know where the injector pump solenoid wire is, as that's the only electrical item which can prevent the engine from running, and take some electrical wire/tools to fix it (ie connect it to +12v).

I see from your previous posts that you've done a fair bit of maintenance/repair already so you're beginning to find you way around your Oka. If there are no major leaks and nothing seems to rattle or move when it shouldn't, your Oka will probably prove quite reliable. Minor leaks and rattles are normal and annoying rather than worrying.

What you should take is 2 spares wheels, wheel brace, preferably 2 heavy duty jacks, a tyre plug repair kit, a compressor, plus some engine, gearbox, diff and hydraulic oil. 2 working batteries are a good safety net too. Same with a spouse for sage advice, holding things and ability to push. And if you're really going where Telstra's sun don't shine, consider a Sat phone or EPIRB for emergencies.

Pretty much anything else is a nice to have. We've carried tonnes of spares around the country for years and hardly used any of them.

BTW, you can bump start an Oka fairly easily on hard ground (not sand) in the event of starter failure (don't ask how I know).

Regards, David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
18 May 2017 05:02 #4 by packhorse
packhorse replied the topic: XT emergency parts list
Cheers, got all those things, whiskey too. Will track down belts & hoses and get going. I'll be back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul

More
18 May 2017 07:37 #5 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: XT emergency parts list

packhorse wrote: Cheers, got all those things, whiskey too. Will track down belts & hoses and get going. I'll be back.

Mick, the only hoses we've ever broken/leaked are the small ones around the oil cooler. I got a Holden hose from Supercrap with all the necessary bends and cut it up to suit.

Belts can break but sometimes a branch flicks up underneath, gets caught in the belt and flips it off the pulleys. Strapping a spare main belt to the engine block behind the pulleys makes replacing it easier than removing all the other(s) first.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.