Coolant overflow tank

More
02 May 2018 06:14 #1 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis created the topic: Coolant overflow tank
Does anyone know the capacity of the coolant expansion tank? or where they originally came from for the LT. I had called Oka over a decade ago and was quoted some insane price (hundreds and hundreds and hundreds etc)
Mine never came with the original and is too small. It overflows out of the expansion tank and then I need to add about a litre.
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2018 08:36 #2 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Coolant overflow tank
Assuming you can't find one, why not just let it find its own natural level and let it be. Obviously been managing like that for a long time with no harm done.

More
02 May 2018 09:37 #3 by mort
mort replied the topic: Coolant overflow tank
Hi Peter,
I was just talking with someone the other day about the tank and how you cant remove that rear cover without disconnecting the hose from the tank so started looking for an alternative but I havnt gone much further than looking yet here is a link to some on ebay www.ebay.com/bhp/aluminum-overflow-tank all different sizes and materials and way less than hundreds.
I have an LT and I cant say I have a problem with overflow so maybe your rad cap is too low a pressure or needs replacing or some other issue but at a guess the std tank is about 4 lts.
Martyn

More
02 May 2018 12:04 #4 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Coolant overflow tank
Hi Peter, whats the approximate capacity of your expansion tank ? I found that our original Perkins pumped about 1/2 to 1 litre of coolant into the expansion tank when at running temperature so you probably need a minimum of twice this to be OK.
If your expansion tank is this size and you continually need to top up your radiator and the expansion tank level increases till it overflows you've possibly got a crook radiator cap which isn't allowing coolant to be returned to the radiator as the engine cools down.

Deano :)

More
02 May 2018 13:00 #5 by mort
Hi Peter,
I just checked the capacity of mine and it is only 2.5 lt so looks bigger than it really is.
Martyn

More
02 May 2018 16:02 #6 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Coolant overflow tank
Thankyou for the feedback.
Tank size is about 1.5Lt, radiator cap about 3 months old.
Old cap wasn't working properly. New cap worked beautifully for a couple of months, now ?

More
03 May 2018 05:36 #7 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Coolant overflow tank
Hopefully not sucking eggs time, but there appears to be 2 types of radiator cap, a recovery cap for use with an expansion/recovery tank and a standard one with no tank.

See this Tridon page.

My XT has no recovery tank so it only needs a standard cap and some fluid leaks out when hot. If I were to add a tank, I would need a recovery type cap (it has an extra spring to allow fluid to be sucked back in when cooling down).

Sounds like an LT has a recovery tank as standard.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
03 May 2018 09:48 #8 by mort
Hi David,
Sometines the obvious isnt all that obvious just like my fitting of the steps a few days ago.
Martyn

More
15 May 2018 06:41 #9 by Peter Davis
Looking at the Tridon website. They have 2 radiator caps of very similar sizes. CA0750 and CN0750.
The main difference being the CN has a longer "plunger" by 2mm. So I'm wondering if anyone knows which one for Oka. Both the same pressure.

More
15 May 2018 07:55 #10 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Coolant overflow tank
Peter, it looks like the CN version is a non-recovery type, for use without a recovery/expansion tank.

So with your recovery tank you'd need the CA version (which can also be used without a tank).

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
15 May 2018 22:44 #11 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Coolant overflow tank
XT 7 psi non- resovery cap for header tank
LT 7 psi recovery cap for expansion tank

OKA parts reciently replaced a cooked engine in an XT because some bright spark put an expanson tank & recovery cap.

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405

More
17 May 2018 05:44 #12 by Peter Davis
Thanks David, you are right. I was hoping it was going to be something simple as changing the radiator cap.
As for Bretts comment, it pays to have a radiator water level alarm. Mine saved me when the rear heater decided to let go.

More
17 May 2018 06:18 #13 by outyonda

Peter Davis wrote: .
As for Bretts comment, it pays to have a radiator water level alarm. Mine saved me when the rear heater decided to let go.[/quote

AGREED Peter we have them on every think here & many now have engine shut down when water & oil levels get low.

More
17 May 2018 06:25 #14 by outyonda

Peter Davis wrote: Does anyone know the capacity of the coolant expansion tank? or where they originally came from for the LT. I had called Oka over a decade ago and was quoted some insane price (hundreds and hundreds and hundreds etc)
Mine never came with the original and is too small. It overflows out of the expansion tank and then I need to add about a litre.
Cheers

The origanal LT were made for OKA
the MAN & Merc truck ones do the job.

More
17 May 2018 06:35 #15 by Peter Davis
Cheers Brett. You are up early.

More
17 May 2018 06:43 #16 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Coolant overflow tank

Peter Davis wrote: Thanks David, you are right. I was hoping it was going to be something simple as changing the radiator cap.
As for Bretts comment, it pays to have a radiator water level alarm. Mine saved me when the rear heater decided to let go.

What sort of level alarm?

I know with some fords the water can piss out leaving the thermocouple dry, and the temp looks good, but is dry-as-a-bone,

More
17 May 2018 13:41 #17 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Coolant overflow tank

OKA parts reciently replaced a cooked engine in an XT because some bright spark put an expanson tank & recovery cap

Assuming the existing header tank is still in place, why would that result in engine overheating?

More
22 May 2018 08:12 #18 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: Coolant overflow tank
I looked up radiator caps and XT that do not have overflow tanks can use both types of radiator caps
Good to know

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge freezer
We like to get away 3 to 4 months a year
Attachments:

More
18 Jul 2018 06:43 #19 by Peter Davis
I came across the coolant level alarm whilst looking for something else.
Anyway it is a Datatron coolant level ELB100 from Flexible drive agencies. I have one on radiator and one on intercooler.
It did save me once, so worth every cent. Fitting broke and was just pumping out fluid.
Peter

More
19 Jul 2018 09:36 #20 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Coolant overflow tank
#196 has a RedArc low coolant level alarm.
It is fitted to the top of the radiator tank.
It works.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214