Power Steering box (XT Kirby Bishop}

More
29 Jun 2018 16:05 - 29 Jun 2018 16:15 #1 by packhorse
packhorse created the topic: Power Steering box (XT Kirby Bishop}
Does anyone have first hand experience with the Kirby Bishop box, specifically with replacing the top seal on the shaft
to the steering column. The mechanism feels fine through the steering wheel so I'm just wanting to cut the weeping while I decide on the best alternatives after this trip.
Any advise from those who have worked on this box would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has a seal number to avoid getting the whole kit would be handy, if it's not pushing the friendship, I'm also after the reservoir filter number.
And is it possible to run a slightly heavier oil without interfering with spools or valves?
I have looked at a fair amount of guff but everything refers to the current upgrades (which is not what I'm dealing with here} and all the manuals I have do not show clear reproductions of the photo's originally taken.

Look forward to your input
regards
Mick #67
Last Edit: 29 Jun 2018 16:15 by packhorse. Reason: to add more infomation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2018 18:14 #2 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Power Steering box (XT Kirby Bishop}
I had the same issue with my TRW p-steer box when on a big trip in 2013. Thought i could just get away with a new seal but when i pulled the column apart and felt the shaft wobbling from wear (the cause of the stuffed seal) i realised i needed a rebuilt p-steering box. Moral of the story, i'd check input shaft play (not just from steering wheel feel) before bothering to order the seal etc. I don't know from personal experience but apparently the upgraded p-steering box is well worth it...
cheers, alister

More
29 Jun 2018 19:17 #3 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Power Steering box (XT Kirby Bishop}

Alister McBride wrote: I had the same issue with my TRW p-steer box when on a big trip in 2013. Thought i could just get away with a new seal but when i pulled the column apart and felt the shaft wobbling from wear (the cause of the stuffed seal) i realised i needed a rebuilt p-steering box. Moral of the story, i'd check input shaft play (not just from steering wheel feel) before bothering to order the seal etc. I don't know from personal experience but apparently the upgraded p-steering box is well worth it...
cheers, alister

There is likely a whole lot more that wOuld be good to hear... Por favor??

More
30 Jun 2018 06:59 - 30 Jun 2018 07:01 #4 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Power Steering box (XT Kirby Bishop}
the Kirby Biship was on old F100 & early fairlanes
to light for OKA superseeded by TPW
OKA had a recall & replace, on early X T, only a few missed out.

Dean has the bits to upgrade

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405
Last Edit: 30 Jun 2018 07:01 by outyonda.

More
08 Jul 2018 12:00 #5 by packhorse
packhorse replied the topic: Power Steering box (XT Kirby Bishop}
Anyone with the Kirby Bishop steering box should not get caught up in any comparison to the upgraded TRW. Apparently the input seal cannot be simply removed from the top and replaced but instead the box removed and the seal withdrawn through the guts, having seen the schematics, this is akin to open heart surgery. Unfortunately I attempted to come in from the top which involved grinding the heads of the 4 phillip head bolts inside the cab and punching the seized pressed nuts through the floor (cheers guys) securing the steering wheel shaft boot to the floor to remove the input uni from the box and slide the shaft clear. Next time, the steering wheel assembly will stay insitu as it was quite the bugger to re-attach the uni to the input shaft, so the box will be unbolted and slid away from the steering shaft uni. ( when re-fitting, possibly secure the steering shaft from disappearing up through the floor into the cab if there is a next time )
Auto Powersteer in Wangara WA rebuilt the box for $550 incl. I will definately look at the modification with Dean next time as it may not go another rebuild.
Z79A ryco filter on the pump reservoir and away we go.