CAV fuel filter

More
12 Oct 2018 06:13 #1 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis created the topic: CAV fuel filter
Is there a trick to bleeding the air out of CAV fuel filter setups. The air bleed is at the top but I seem to get more diesel coming out than air when priming while the bowl is full of air.
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2018 14:46 #2 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: CAV fuel filter
Is the fuel going in the right direction??? :)
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
12 Oct 2018 16:08 #3 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: CAV fuel filter
Don’t bleed the filter just bleed at the pump.

More
13 Oct 2018 16:24 #4 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: CAV fuel filter
I didn't explain myself properly. I have a cav filter for each fuel tank near the fuel diverter valve as a prefilter. I also have a hand pump on each line before the filters so as to pump fuel into the filter after changing to new ones. If I bleed from the pump I would have to do it twice with twice as much wasted fuel.
Is there such a thing as a valve which releases the air but not the diesel?

More
13 Oct 2018 17:08 #5 by Peter_n_Margaret
I have the same. The filters are before the change-over-valve. There is a 3rd filter in the engine compartment before the HP pump.
I don't bleed the filters at all after changing the elements. Just drive away :)
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
14 Oct 2018 11:00 #6 by OKA 138
OKA 138 replied the topic: CAV fuel filter
I have a primary spin on Fleetgaurd filter on each each tank before the change over valve and a secondary CAV filter on the engine I.m like Peter just start it, if any sort of splutter I crack an injector line at the injector can be a little messy but most of the time not nessacary so always pays to have some degreaser available just to clean up after but far easier than trying to bleed the system by hand.
The VE pump handles a bit of air in the system far better than a Simms or CAV rotary pump.

Cheers Dave

More
14 Oct 2018 11:07 #7 by Peter_n_Margaret
I do also have some "back-up" features, like an electric fuel pump (normally not activated) in the line and the CAV style filter in the engine compartment has a bleed screw and a hand priming pump as part of the filter.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
15 Oct 2018 17:02 #8 by mort
mort replied the topic: CAV fuel filter
Peter,
I usually just start and it sorts itself out however I was with some one just recently who replaced their filter and when done he said he has to bleed so without thinking I said ok I will prime and let me know when air out of filter, after some time with nothing happening I said *$#& what am I diong just start the bloody thing. It started and purred just like a Perkins does and never missed a beat.
Martyn