Radio Amateurs in the Group?

More
01 Nov 2012 14:50 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Radio Amateurs in the Group?
Forum Home > On the Road > Radio Amateurs in the Group?

Dandj
More than 50 years after building my first radio, I recently became a licenced radio amateur (VK5MDR) and I'm wondering if there are any other amateurs in the Oka group, or anyone with an interest in amateur radio?

--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

January 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James & Usha (THEByleDuct)
Administrator
I'm signed up to receive email reminders about upcoming courses and testing dates in Perth but just haven't been able to tie one in with my rosters. Always been interested in them since growing up in PNG.
James
--
OKA #072

January 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hank Onthewater
Got my marine radio licence (MROCP), does that count? Have HF radio, callsign VNW3780, but radio is on my boat. Guess I need a ham licence if I were to have HF in the van as well. Is it easy to get?
Hank
--
May fair winds be behind you, sun above, clear waters below, and a safe port ahead. And when in OKA van: replace "clear waters" with "firm ground".

January 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Something I have put off for years, just applied for RPL as I am in the comms field. I should have a letter in the next day or so. Been told I am sucessfull.
Just need to learn the regs and then I will do the test. Another radio to add to the OKA
--

July 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2015 06:33 #2 by John and Bronwyn
John and Bronwyn replied the topic: Radio Amateurs in the Group?
Hi David, just found this old topic

I am a radio amateur, call VK3ZRX which I have had for many years. I am active in WICEN, among other things.
I carry portable / mobile HF (80m upwards) and portable / mobile VHF/UHF.
I also have HF digital (Pactor), for an emergency digital comms group.

Cheers, John

More
18 Jan 2015 06:47 #3 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Radio Amateurs in the Group?
Hi John, yes, there are a few amateurs in the Oka group plus many more with an interest in HF radio for long range outback comms.

I have a range of HF radios, mostly old Codans which are very reliable and easy to work on, some of which I've converted for ham band operations with DDS VFOs.

I'm not very active, I mainly got my licence (VK5MDR) so I could legally play with radio gear, being a career-long electronics engineer.

Regards, David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.