Tyres- (again)

More
01 Nov 2012 13:49 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Tyres- (again)
Forum Home > On the Road > Tyres- (again)

frank
was wondering how many are still using the 900x16 (or 255/100R16 )?
also, how many using 825x16?
and are still on the old split rims?
Wondering what to do with #164 tyre and wheel wise.
164 came with 825x16 plus a collection of six 900x16, in a variety of wear and tread patterns, retreads etc.
I can buy new 255/100R16 michelin XZL ($757 each) or can buy secondhand (various people on here seem to be selling them).

OR do I go the alloy route or the new steel rim route with the second hand tyres from Paul

Why (apart from weight) have people moved from the 16" split rims?
I have a slight preference for the splits as there are easier to get off and on the rim for repair than tubeless, apart from that I am totally confused.
all advice listened to (but not necessarily acted on)
cheers
--
Frank & Christine Thomas

July 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ty & Nyrelle Parsons
Ron Quigley paid $560 for 17.5 x 9.5 Michies which is eqivalent to 825 and are tubeless, As for changing he seems to think they are easier, and the tubeless will stay up where a tubed tyre will go flat straight away. Safer to go a 16" tubeless for the availability of tyres, BFGs or Mickey Ts in a 35" or 37", may be an option, depends on the ply rating,and weight carrying, price will be half too, food for thought, Ty
July 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wessa #400
Hi Frank,
For what it is worth here is my two bobs worth. I have run a variety of tyres and rims on XT and LT. I started of with 825 16s on my original OKA, I found them to be alright however my concerns were two fold one I always found control and body roll with the narrower, smaller tyres a bit unsettling especially when steering off the bituman on to the gravel when passing, the vehicle movement would be hard to control and stabilize, secondly was the asthetics the 825 16's looked down right undersized for the vehicle and the wheel base way too narrow.
When I bought my LT it was fitted with 305 19'5's. These larger wider tyres made the handling of the vehicle totally different, the larger wheels and wider wheelbase not only makes the vehicle look at lot more stable it handles a lot better.
I looked around for tyres as I needed to replace some for RWC. All new options were very expensive so I settled for Bandag retreads with a very large coarse pattern at a cost of $250.00 ea. I have had a very good run out of these and even called back in to the supplier to tell them how good a run I have had with them and the lack of road noise.
As I am looking at doing some longer off road and fishing trips in the next couple of years, I have been looking around for a larger tyre that can be comfortablly run at lower pressures (ie. smaller dia rims, higher side walls, more ballooning, less sidewall heat, larger footprint). The 16" alloy rims were not an option as I operate my bus as a tour vehicle during Victorian summer and the alloys did not have the weight carrying capacity. When I was in Cairns recently I happened to catch up with John and his LT dual cab. He has fitted the first of the new steel 16" rims that Paul K has just got in with second hand 325 85 16's XML's. I took it for a drive and was very suprised at the ride, bituman or gravel the handling was supperb even steering off the edge of the bituman at speed the vehicle didn't even feel it. His second hand 325 xml's he got off Paul looked nearly new, plenty of tread. John has recently completed a couple of shorter trips (a few thousnad K's) and when I spoke to him he was very happy with the rims and tyres.
After several years of looking, reading and talking on forums, considering options and general procrastinating, I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of the new steel rims and the secondhand XML's off Paul K. I will not be using them for my summer tours but keep them for longer off the beaten track trips.
The exercise was not cheap approx $300ea for the rims and $500ea for the tryres (approx 90%+) x 5. However now that I have made the decision I am very happy with what I've got.
Best of luck with your decision making and final choice.
Cheers
Wessa #400

--
July 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank
Wessa, what is the reason for new rims and not using the 16" splits? are the tyres tubeless only?
--
Frank & Christine Thomas

July 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

outyonda.com
16"x7" steel tubeless rims 825x16 900x16 255/100x16 285x16 all fit the 7" rim tubeless. The steel rims are lighter than split rims & are rated over two tonnes. Brett
July 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

outyonda.com
Available from Alan at OKA Parts Australia 0400 736 117
July 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wessa #400
Frank, I went with the one piece steel from Paul for several reasons; I wanted a tubeless tyre, I've changed / repaired tubes off split rims on the road before and much prefer to be able to use use my plug kit if required. The new steels are 8" taking the larger 325 XML's. I also liked the look of the 325's on the vehicle.
In case you haven't read it, John and Liz posted some very good feedback on the Forum a few weeks ago. If you search the forum it was posted on 19th June in the Maintenance section under the heading 16" H/D Tubless Steel Rims. I had a drive of John's vehicle and it was this that helped make up my mind.
Cheers
Wessa #400
--
July 17, 2012 at 8:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank
Wessa, I've read about those wheels from Paul but not sure how they will go with the standard diff ratio. Are your diffs standard ? also how old are the tyres Paul gets?
Choices I seem to have are:
Pauls wheels $4K (for5)
new 900x16 XML $3750 (for 5) tyres only, use existing splits.
new eagle alloys $950 (for6) plus new tyres 315/75/16 $465 each (3860lb rated) = total $3740 (for6)
funny how they all cost the same? desisions, decisions.
--
Frank & Christine Thomas

July 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wessa #400
Frank, I had the same concerns regarding diffs and axles as you have just expressed. Regardless of which way you go, the larger the diameter, the further you go with each revolution and therefore an increase in the load transferred thru your axles and diff.
I spoke to Paul about this some time ago and as my LT had 19.5" and 305's when I bought it. I believed even these would put a greater load on the drive so I upgraded the rear axle to 35 spline and put in an LSD which has a 4 yoke drive instead of 2 thus making the whole drive stronger. My front axle was a 35 spline already and I will be fitting an LSD to the front diff later this year.
I went the way of strengthening what I had instead of going for the Dana 80 axles which some have (very expensive). It was Paul who recommended I go that way and it was a lot cheaper and the LSD's perform fantastic, a lot better then lockers.
As to the tyres Paul has, they have several different wear %, I bought the 90 - 95% and measured the tread on them. New they have 17mm depth mine have 16mm, the edges have been slightly rounded but look good. New they are $1500 I paid $500 +. How they wear and perform I'll let you know after I give them a good try out.
Remember you own an OKA and whichever way you go it is going to cost. Give Paul K a ring and have a yarn to him, he has a lot of experience with these vehicles and will help you out.
Best of luck with your decision.
Cheers
Wessa #400

July 25, 2012 at 6:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
"so I upgraded the rear axle to 35 spline and put in an LSD which has a 4 yoke drive instead of 2 thus making the whole drive stronger."
I thought this was standard configuration.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

July 25, 2012 at 7:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wessa #400
LT 400 had 32 spline rear axles, I don't know what is standard, I actually only started out to check the diff, however there was a fair amount of movement / wear which needed shimming and had a turning bearing so decided to fit the LSD centre and upgade the axles while we were at it.
Cheers
Wessa #400
July 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete Fox
My paperwork lists the LSD as an option on the LT Okas. The 32 spline axles are standard equipment.
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

July 27, 2012 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

wessa #400
Thanks Peter that confirms what mine had before I did the upgrade.
Cheer
Wessa #400
July 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank
Wessa,
would the 325 85 16" go on a 10" wide rim?
Also, how old (date code) are the tyres from Paul?
thanks
frank
August 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

wessa #400
Sorry Frank have been checking with Paul and Ian Jones. suggest you give either a ring. Ian on 0408057973 he has some good 325 85 16's at the moment and will answer your queries.
Cheers
--
August 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank
Almost about to order the 325/85/16 with rims.
Am now wondering what ratio diff will I have on #164.
I believe it is still the original LSD one from new.
Does anyone know the standard ratio?
thanks
--
Frank & Christine Thomas

September 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Yes Frank it's 4.88:1
Cheers,
Alister
September 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank
So if I did buy the 325/85R16 how would the XT cope?
sluggishly?
or OKish?

also the gearbox and clutch are a bit notchy, is this a worry??

--
Frank & Christine Thomas

September 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.