Rust

More
30 Oct 2012 15:50 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Rust
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Rust

Outback Jack
I am starting to pull 169 apart to fix the A/C, get it ready for paint etc. Although nearest painter is over 500k kms away.
I have found holes in the passenger floor,where the front door seals are, front window etc etc.
Where else is it common for OKA`s to rust??

July 31, 2012 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
The whole thing actually ;-)))
Most will rust the tube that runs horizontally across the front of the cab underneath, the first signs are rust bubbles in the side panel at the bottom front corners under the side indicators. The biggest problem is lack of preparation of cut steel surfaces and hollow box sections before, during and after final assembly of the body.
The doors are also a problem for the same reasons, the inner panels are pop rivetted to the outside skin and no painting or rust treatment is undertaken except for final top coat.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

July 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Yep I have rust holes there, once I get the bull bar off. I will check with OKA parts if I can get the corner panels and the bar that goes across.
I think the NT had the same problem
--

July 31, 2012 at 8:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

It is just Duragal tube, can buy it from any steel store and cut to length.
The whole Oka is just made of duragal tube and flat sheet so local materials will do for repairs/replacements.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

July 31, 2012 at 10:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Might pay to give Duragal (TM) a miss because it is not galvanised internally. Suppliers sell pre-gal sections which is a different process and is internally coated
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

August 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Oh OK, thanks for the heads up, might explain why they rust from the inside out.
--

August 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Yes meant to say that you can get stuff that is gal inside as well. Jetlag!
--
Oka 374 LT Van

August 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
I think the main problem is the fact that no drain holes existed in the tube frame or the chassis,condensation or water ingress can't escape,don't forget that even internally galvanized tubing will be burned when the welding is done and if you have a 6mm hole you can allways inject fish or grapeseed oil,just about all OKA rust problems are created around the weldings.
Cheers,Joe
August 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Strange problem because Peter's and my OKA show the same rust at the end of the front box section. His had no drain holes, while mine had 6mm holes in the bottom of the RHS about 30mm in from the ends. Made no difference. Both rusted through the outside skin.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

August 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
Ours was also had the dreaded rust on all the places and it was just a matter of go look and he shall find ,the front rail on ours i put 20mm holes in them so was able to wash it out , some plastic plugs to suit . rust was found at either end i cut it out and replaced it with stainless, doors , door seals, rear drop door, window sreen frame , so there is no end of the rust problem ,just have fun finding it.
August 2, 2012 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
also put better and more drain slots in door seal areas, fish oil as much as possible
August 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
What do people do with the door seal rust? As you can see in the pictures the metals gone, I need to replace it somehow. Just dont have the equipment here to replace it.
--

August 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Outback Jack, my door seal rust isn't quite as bad as yours but if I had to replace it I'd grind off all the rusty sections (leaving as much of the sloping channel as possible) and make up a short U or Z channel section to weld or rivet across the bottom. It doesn't need to be curved, you could leave a gap at each end so the seal can bend around and for drainage.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

August 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.