Universal Joints

More
31 Oct 2012 19:52 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Universal Joints
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Universal Joints

Mark Pain
Hi,
I am replacing the universal joints in the tail shafts and got the Hardy Spicer HD units as per the parts list. When I installed them, I cannot fit the second circlip in the yoke to hold them in place. When I measure them they are about 106.6mm wide and the originals are only 106.0mm wide, Has anyone else had trouble fitting the HD units? This is an XT no 152.
Regards
Mark Pain
March 1, 2011 at 9:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
I didnt have any trouble, I have done both tailshafts now
--

March 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael Hession
Hi Mark
If I understand your problem properly, one of the neddle rollers may have dislodged, when you re-assembled the uni-joint, not allowing the cap to seat properly. You will need to remove the cap to check.
Michael Hession
March 2, 2011 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Yes I helped a friend last week where on of the rollers did exactly that on a Hilux tailshaft. it drove ok. ;-))
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 2, 2011 at 7:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
I forgot to add you can get slightly thinner C clips if the dislodged roller isn't the problem.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 2, 2011 at 7:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Pain
Thanks all,
I try and get thinner C clips. A roller definitely has not fallen over (It did on one so I was super cautious on the others) and they are all in the same boat. The Spicer documentation says that they are 106.3 wide. When I put measure across them they are 106.7 and with a G clamp across them they still measure 106.6. Makes them about 0.5mm wider than the ones that came out!
March 2, 2011 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank
Mark,
How did you go with finding thinner clips?
I have the same problem, although I pressed the caps on and got the c clips in place but the uni joint is too tight to move.
Anyone know how to move the caps a little?
--
Frank & Christine Thomas

April 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Mark, I suggest you talk with Spicer. The UJ's should be 106.35 mm across according to the Spicer B2 document (Page 2.45). 1/4 mm more seems too much.
Circlips of different thicknesses are only available in .058 to .065 inches (Spicer B1 document, page 1.45) which I doubt will solve this problem.
I had a similar problem and took my shaft to Spicer. They should be able to install the UJ's for you but they might also tell you the yoke needs replacing (around $200+). Regretably I didn't measure mine first so I don't know if they were telling porkies.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

April 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Mark,when you push the caps in the ears on the yoke will flex( unles you use a puller),what you do is hold the cups tight in the vice and use a brass drift against the yoke ears,that should be enough to move the ear to allow you to fit the circlip,according to the measurement s that you have it's not enough to have a dislodged needle.
hope this is of some help!
Cheers,joe
April 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.