Centre Console Ideas

More
01 Nov 2012 19:12 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Centre Console Ideas
Forum Home > On the Road > Centre Console Ideas

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I don't claim to have a monopoly on good ideas here, so if you have some centre console improvements to share, please post them here.

A while back I was asked about the boxes I have on mine. In my opinion the height of the engine cover, as an armrest goes, is about 85mm too low. So being in the tackle trade, I soon found an ideally-sized tackle box (Plano 3741) to fix that uncomfortable problem. The other thing is that despite having a huge console (engine cover), the XT/LT models have nowhere to throw little things, except the glovebox. The storage boxes fix that too.

The Planos come with three clamps on them, but I unclipped them and discarded them - planning on keeping the shiny side of the OKA up. They got velcroed down on to the hatch, and the tops were covered in non-slip matting. The matting didn't work so nicely, too grippy under the arm, so after a couple of years I got it off again and replaced it with 6mm masonite, glued on with contact, and covered with a nice blue/black laminex. The weight of the masonite has the boxes close firmly. The inside bottom of the boxes just has a piece of grey felt laid in it. The dividers slot in after that.

Drink holders are also lacking in XT/LTs, so I cut a couple of stubbie-cooler-sized holes halfway along and on the hinge side; out of the way of a resting arm but conveniently close. Obviously you have to lift the drink out to lift the lid, but that's no hardship. They work a treat, and these days we use them on every long trip with a couple of the stainless travel mugs, for cold water.

Three little patches of self-adhesive velcro serve the purpose on each and have done for years. It's handy to be able to remove the boxes without unpacking them, e.g. when leaving the vehicle for a service.

On the converse, there's no need to remove the boxes to access the engine. The hatch can be lifted with the boxes left in place, and it will stay up on the gas struts. There's just enough room in between them to slip your hand in and lift the handle.

My glovebox has nothing to hold the lid down, so it used to get a bit flappy over the whoop-de-doos sometimes. I matched the decor with 6mm of masonite and the laminex on that too, and the extra weight has solved the flappy problem. I know there are lighter ways of doing that, but I also had a bunch of holes in the glovebox lid from '90s radios, so they got covered up as well.

Behind the boxes on the console lives a 14-litre Engel, a real compressor-model one that gets properly cold. That is held in place with double sided Velcro straps each side. It also doesn't have to be removed to lift the engine hatch - it just lifts back with it. Perfect size.

The Velcro straps loop around these stainless-cable cupboard handles, which are screwed through from the inside of the engine hatch; so they lift up with the hatch. Just like a bought one.

The little box velcroed over the ashtray hole was mentioned in this post.
--
Hal

March 1, 2012 at 1:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Mclaaren

I have a factory Oka center console I purchased from Oka for my XT some years ago but never got around to fitting it. I would like to sell it If anyone is interested $180.
Terry
--
March 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Any pics of the Oka centre console? never seen one.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 1, 2012 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Mclaaren

I will get some pics tonight and post them tomorrow, if you have a parts manual it listed as part 009262, the manual does show a pic of it but i cant seem to be able to copy and paste it here.
Cheers Terry
--
March 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Don't have a photo, but mine uses plywood outer walls about 3" high and a few interior divisions bracketed to the top of the engine cover. It is all covered with charcoal ribbed exterior carpet and the same carpet is used for the "floor". The rear wall is forward of the rear of the cover so it all lifts up without fouling. I did have a stronger gas strut the same size and that worked out perfectly.

Intended for maps, books and similar flattish items that don't have a proper place to store them once the glove boxes get to capacity
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

March 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
I just use a couple of rectangular plastic tubs, sort of like washing up dishes, screwed two bits of 90mm stormwater pipe in the corners of the front one for cup/drink bottle holders. They work well as we can move them aside if we need to crawl through to the rear from the front. I also fitted a stronger and slightly longer gas strut which lifts the "bonnet" completely to vertical.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul & Sue Crompton
Hi everybody, I guess mine is the opposite to the ones above as the engine bay lid has been dropped down about 90mm behind the engine lid handle and about 90mm from the edges as well. This seems to work quite good for us as we use it for large maps and on trips it is handy to put food containers as well as containers for nibblies and drinks etc and phones. Also the top of my engine bay cover and the area next to the gear shifts are covered in marine carpet so if I want to put anything on top, all I do is stick a bit of velcro (hooks) on the items that I want to place and they hook onto the carpet. I find this really handy. Also my engine lid is quite well insulated so it doesn't get too much heat. Please note the dimensions are only approximate. If anyone wants a picture, just let me know.
Cheers for now. Paul Crompton. Oka 168
PS: If I want to lift my engine lid, I do have to remove the bits and pieces.
--
Paul & Sue Crompton

March 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.