Website issues

• Holmz
  • Holmz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
07 Oct 2017 15:56 - 08 Oct 2017 16:01 #1 by Holmz
Holmz created the topic: Website issues

dandjcr wrote:

Holmz wrote: And the site is still the slowest and buggiest that I have encountered. The iPad will not load with "too many redirects".

I’m tempted to ask what you are doing here then? But i’ll leave it for others to ask that.

I think you”ll find quite a numer of people find it quite useful.

David, “from my iPad”.

Don't say you are tempted to ask, and then say you'll leave it to others to ask - just take a stand man and ask away.
To save you some time, I'll answer up front...

1) I am certainly not here to gain experience the wonder and awe of a modern website experience.
2) I am here because I wanted information on OKAs to make an informed purchase decision.
3) I now own an OKA and an putting through the transfer paperwork.

The forum idea is good and I am glad that it is being run. Most people on here seem decent and offer assistance with patience.
The only complaint I have, which is offered in the most constructive sense that I can manage... is that the web site seems like something is wrong with it technically. I base this on:
1) It takes longer to load than most any other
2) The ipad routinely errors out with "too many redirects".

I am not a website designer, but I could envision wanting to get onto to here in some remote area with a plea for help... and not being able to and wondering why I did not bring a desktop or server with me.
I am assuming it is some temporary deal being managed through the Byles site.
Basically "I dunno" why, but someone may care.

Please do not assume that any complaints about the website and the avatar are some attempt at insulting anyone. Web site management is a thankless job in general, and I was under the impression that user experience issues were welcome in the spirit of improving the site.

If you do not like that then please call or send me a PM to find out my intent rather than suggesting that I leave or that maybe I do not belong here.
If I am over reacting then I apologise in advance.

Perhaps a latte or wine/beer around a campfire will allow for some mending to happen, which I would welcome.
And both wine and latte usually improve my mood more than being alienated.
Last Edit: 08 Oct 2017 16:01 by Holmz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2017 18:56 #2 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Website issues
Holmz, David and James have been working on these issues since it crashed awhile ago and may be you have come on board since that, but we are all aware that it is slow and know they are working on it as best they can and we are being patient.
I could see how David could be offended from your comment as he would be under a lot of stress with this site.
I hope you and David can work this out.

Ewart oka 365
The following user(s) said Thank You: outyonda

More
07 Oct 2017 22:13 #3 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Website issues
Holmz, perhaps a polite PM question would have been better than ranting in public?

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
08 Oct 2017 09:34 - 08 Oct 2017 09:37 #4 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Website issues
Bit unfair. Holmz was merely continuing a discussion on the particular bug that was causing problems for everyone at the time so that part surely wasn't a problem to anyone's feelings. He then tacked on an observation regarding the speed and bugginess of the site and that wasn't a rant by any definition.
To make a comparison that might be appropriate, my OKA is as slow as a wet week and certainly very buggy but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate its good points and certainly doesn't mean I would just walk away from it and of course I reserve the right to criticize it just as most other owners do or are tempted to do from time to time.

Holmz, welcome to the "joys" of OKA ownership. If you were often bored with your spare time because you had nothing interesting to do, that will be no longer the case.
Last Edit: 08 Oct 2017 09:37 by Tony Lee.

• Holmz
  • Away
More
08 Oct 2017 09:38 - 08 Oct 2017 09:41 #5 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Website issues

Ewart and Vivian Halford wrote: Holmz, David and James have been working on these issues since it crashed awhile ago and may be you have come on board since that, but we are all aware that it is slow and know they are working on it as best they can and we are being patient.
I could see how David could be offended from your comment as he would be under a lot of stress with this site.
I hope you and David can work this out.

Can you point out the offensive part so I can better improve my communication skills?

Holmz wrote: When I uploaded a photo I got:

Error
Unknown column 'microsoft' in 'field list'

This is the image: aliceonline.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/hidden-valley.jpg
And the site is still the slowest and buggiest that I have encountered. The iPad will not load with "too many redirects".

dandjcr wrote: Holmz, perhaps a polite PM question would have been better than ranting in public?
David

Maybe we would both be wise to consider the PM route?

Let's consider how to be constructive...
- I do know, and work with, a descent number of slick web designer professionals.
- If I send you a HDD, or flash drive, then I would be willing to fund/release some of those people on that.

Would that provide some help?
Last Edit: 08 Oct 2017 09:41 by Holmz.

• Holmz
  • Away
More
08 Oct 2017 10:41 - 08 Oct 2017 10:43 #6 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Website issues

Tony Lee wrote: …
Holmz, welcome to the "joys" of OKA ownership. If you were often bored with your spare time because you had nothing interesting to do, that will be no longer the case.

Well I do not believe that I have a boredom problem.
I have a TIG welder and a bunch of woodworking gear so between the Haus-Boss’s list (and the OKA arriving) I seem able to stay busy enough.

I want to point you out as an example of one of the people on here that I appreciate, as I appreciated our chat a month or two ago, and your insight and documentation/photo on the “camper”. It is this type of stuff that is invaluable to beginners like myself and your (and other’s) sharing of your experience fills me with joy. There are many others I could name if I was better with names...

I’m looking forward to seeing if I can get away for one of these meetings and the Marlinga tour is not far down the road. Will probably do Albany, WA ~XMAS.

Just off the phone with daughter #1 and she wants for her B-day pressie a trip here next June/July so we can do a trip together… Which I am keenly looking forward to doing.
Last Edit: 08 Oct 2017 10:43 by Holmz.