Cummins Transplant

More
18 Aug 2014 12:17 #1 by Noel
Noel created the topic: Cummins Transplant
Have just taken old 356 out for its first run after re-powering with a 210hp Cummins. What a difference!!! I went up this hill near our house which with the Perkins I would only get into second gear and crawl up the hill at about 20kph. On this run I was changing all the way up to fourth and was doing the speed limit of 80kph before i got to the top of the hill. Once in fifth you did not have to change down for any undulations as you had to with the Perkins. Surprisingly there seems to be more room in the engine bay as well, seems to be a perfect fit, all the components are roughly in the same place so the wiring loom etc. only had minimal modification. Many thanks must go to Paul Nott and Alan for all their help, their bits and pieces and advice for the conversion were invaluable
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Joseph Baz, outyonda, Rick Whitworth, catdav

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2014 08:37 #2 by Garry and Chris
Garry and Chris replied the topic: Cummins Transplant
I asked Paul what was in his kit and how much just over a week ago He told me not selling kit will only do drive in drive out $30k
Way out of my pocket
Garry

OKA 306

More
24 Aug 2014 12:40 - 24 Aug 2014 12:41 #3 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Cummins Transplant
I was told same by Paul.......

Plenty people now doing the conversion, so shouldn't cost a lot to do it.

If you have the money, Paul might be the best/easiest option.

For the rest of us, its a matter of time. Buying the bits and bobs as we go along.

Would love to see some pictures of the conversion.
Last Edit: 24 Aug 2014 12:41 by Outback Jack.

More
25 Aug 2014 06:50 #4 by Noel
Noel replied the topic: Cummins Transplant
Took another run yesterday, about 100ks, such a pleasure to drive on the highway now stayed in fifth up hill and down dale was actually accelerating up reasonable hills in fifth, unbelievable. In reality for the amount of work and parts involved $30k is quite reasonable,it took quite a a lot of hours to do the conversion with a lot of head scratching as well. I will try and get some photos of the conversion and post them soon

More
16 Sep 2014 17:53 #5 by Sitec
Sitec replied the topic: Cummins Transplant
Hi all. Not knowing OKA's too well yet, Im not sure of the in's and out's of fitting a Cummins, but Im assuming you are all using/planing to use the 5.9 6bt engine.... If this is the case, I learned that they're expensive to buy here at between $5000 and $9000 for just an engine... I imported my 6Bt and truck gearbox out of the UK for a lot less than that.. Purchase price was £1200, and that included all ancillaries, a ZF5-42 gearbox, complete with hydraulic PTO, air clutch, engine driven compressor etc etc.. The seller also left the engine in the truck chassis and welded skids on it for shipping. It cost me $500 to ship from York UK to ADL AU. There was a further $500 in clearance etc etc with a total well under $4000.. The engine came out of a Leyland Daf 45 truck.. Ebay UK will have plenty. The gear linkage lends itself to a forward control vehicle. The Bosch VE pump is the most fuel efficient. Hope this helps! :)

Cummins Powered Land Rover 101!!

More
16 Sep 2014 20:58 #6 by Outback Jack
Who did you use for the shipping? or did the truck wreckers arrange it?

More
16 Sep 2014 21:07 #7 by Sitec
I used a company called Maru in Dewsbury near to York UK. The guy you'd need to speak to is called Garry Sawyer. They collected the engine, washed it, wrapped it, labeled it and shipped it to Adelaide.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz

More
16 Sep 2014 21:20 - 16 Sep 2014 21:23 #8 by Outback Jack
OK cheers.

The gearbox in the OKA is a UK gearbox and was bolted to 6bt over there I think, if not 6bt then the non turbo version

OKA Steering wheel is off a DAF I think.
Last Edit: 16 Sep 2014 21:23 by Outback Jack.

More
18 Sep 2014 16:18 #9 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Cummins Transplant
No Oka steering wheel/column is from a Leyland Terrier truck, look at the tilt adjust knob it has the Leyland symbol on it.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
18 Sep 2014 17:02 #10 by Outback Jack
Yep, but think they was on DAF trucks as well, Leyland owned DAF I think,

More
18 Sep 2014 17:09 #11 by Sitec
Daf was originally a Dutch firm.. They then eventually partnered with Leyland, and in the UK only we saw Leyland Daf trucks.. Eventually Daf went bust, Leyland became LDV.. A new company was formed using the Daf name, which was soon bought out by Paccar, who are tied up with many truck companies. :)

More
18 Sep 2014 17:17 - 20 Sep 2014 15:19 #12 by Sitec
And as if by magic, here is a current advert for a Cummins 6Bt and ZF5-42 gearbox as found in a Leyland Daf 45 7.5 toner in the UK. It is a 130hp non intercooled engine. With one turn of the fuel screw and an intercooler, it can be brought up to 150hp+. This is the setup I used as the gear linkage lends itself to a forward control vehicle. 500hp can be reliably extracted from the 5.9, and 1000hp if you use the bigger 'P' style fuel pump and massive turbo. The Bosch VE pump (as on this engine and mine) still has plenty to play with, and is the most fuel efficient. Avoid the earlier Lucas CAV pumped engines as they were non turbo. :)

The URL is here .

Scitec, I edited your message so the the link works (Ebay links are problematic). The item number to search for on the Ebay UK website is 181526561111.

Regards David

Last Edit: 20 Sep 2014 15:19 by dandjcr.

More
18 Sep 2014 17:23 - 20 Sep 2014 15:20 #13 by Sitec
I've put a link on here to an engine for sale on EBay UK, but for some reason as can't see it even tho is there when I go to edit the post!! Hey ho. Either way, look up Leyland Daf 45 engine on Ebay UK.. You'll find them fairly cheep! :)

See previous post for URL, David

Last Edit: 20 Sep 2014 15:20 by dandjcr.

More
20 Sep 2014 07:46 #14 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Cummins Transplant
The DAF 6bt's have engine mounts in a different position to the dodge 6bt's. The dodge one's line up almost exactly to the oka engine mounts, so much easier to fit in...

Love the landy fc! Thought it was the best thing around and wanted one... until i saw an oka!!! :P kidding, yours looks like a beast! Also impressed the drivetrain is holding up to the power of the cummins! nice setup.

Cheers, al

More
20 Sep 2014 15:48 - 20 Sep 2014 15:49 #15 by Sitec
Yeah, granted, but the Dodge engines out of the states are a lot more money... And if they're for sale, have probably been flogged!! As for the drivetrain, I used the truck box to suit the engine, and then made the conversion kit between the ZF gearbox and the Land Rover LT230 transfer case, which when set up properly is on a par with the Atlas Transfer Case for strength. Here's how I did it! www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutorials/18...-s5-42-lt-230-a.html

Reece Myres on the 'Cummins Land Rover' Facebook Page has copied it and is now making kits. Not sure how an OKA would run in full time four wheel drive, but I wouldn't be without the positive pull from the front when cornering. :)

Oh, and thanks David for the link fix on the last post!! :)

Last Edit: 20 Sep 2014 15:49 by Sitec.

More
20 Sep 2014 17:01 #16 by Outback Jack
I think the blocks are the same, so you should be able to change engine mounts, but I could be wrong.....

More
20 Sep 2014 22:15 #17 by Alister McBride
That's exactly the thing which isn't the same. Maybe a frame could be made to relocate the mounts or something...
Cheers, alister

More
07 Dec 2014 14:54 #18 by Alister McBride
Noel/Anyone else who has completed the conversion, what is the fuel economy like with the new engine? What drivetrain are you running with? And, any issues encountered post install?? Did XT owners all need to change to cable shift linkages for the manual?
Cheers, alister

More
09 Dec 2014 16:54 #19 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: Cummins Transplant
A 6 bt with a 4 l80e auto to a Nissan gu trans case ,total cost to do it my self with input from some around 15k had auto already just connections , fuel economy better than perkins more power better to drive as in how better fuel usage is have not done any figures yet .
The following user(s) said Thank You: catdav