OzeFridge

More
02 Nov 2018 17:21 #1 by OBOAT1
OBOAT1 created the topic: OzeFridge
Howdy All, anyone had experience with OzeFridges?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2018 04:41 #2 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: OzeFridge
I'm interested to hear as well. I'm planning on using this for a fridge in my new tour trailer.
Rob

More
03 Nov 2018 06:37 #3 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: OzeFridge
I tried one and found the quality of the system excellent. However.... designing a suitable fridge/freezer combo is not as easy as it looks. If you are planning to roll your own fridge/freezer you will need to do a bit of research. The difficulty with building a fridge/freezer combo is that the amount of heat going from the fridge part to the freezer part must be close to the same as the amount of heat coming from the outside world into the fridge part (at 4 degrees).
If more heat goes from the fridge to the freezer than is coming in from the outside world, then things in the fridge will freeze.
If less heat goes into the freezer from the fridge than comes in from the outside world then your food will spoil.
If you are making just a fridge OR a freezer, then the system is great. It is the combo that needs thought.
Of course the benefit of eutectic is that the compressor can be run during times of abundant electricity, and it in effect 'stores' abundant cold. But in these days of lithium batteries it could well be cheaper and lighter to have more batteries than to add the weight and cost of going eutectic.
Good luck!

More
03 Nov 2018 12:52 #4 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: OzeFridge
I bought a commercial front opening fridge only unit (130L Victrifrigo) with remote compressor, then added 50mm of polyurethane foam all around.
Then I did a small fully DIY freezer, (which is totally separate and also has a remote compressor) with 150mm of polyurethane insulation all around.
Both work very well and have lower total power consumption than the combined units.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
03 Nov 2018 13:54 #5 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: OzeFridge
I did the same in the end Peter, a 130 litre Vitrifrigo fridge/freezer though, with 30mm multipanel all around for extra insulation. Is uses typically 22 Amp-hours a day, brilliant for a fridge-freezer.
I had to add extra insulation between the freezer and the fridge to stop the food freezing - the down side of extra insulation in a combined unit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
04 Nov 2018 09:08 #6 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: OzeFridge
I was being told the other day by an oka person (who may wish to chime in here! ;) ) that he was replacing his setup with a newly released upright fridge from Evakool. Anyway, just thought i'd chime in here with this info as i didn't know they had started doing uprights... There's obvious disadvantages to uprights by apparently they use very little power in general. Just passing it on...
cheers, alister

More
05 Nov 2018 07:23 #7 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: OzeFridge
Hi Alister, I replaced our twin Engels (MF35 fridge & MF17 freezer) just prior to last years Australia Day get together. I replaced it with an Evakool 146 litre upright 2 door fridge freezer. The main selling point for me is the convenience of the upright fridge and the extra thick, 75mm from memory, insulation.

It's a great improvement over the twin Engels with nearly triple the capacity and more useful use of space ie. you don't need to leave a space above to open the lid(s). It is much quieter than our ageing Engels. It performed flawlessly over this years 15,000 Km 'To Infinity and Beyond' around Australia jaunt from the Southern Ocean to the Gulf and everything in between.

Power consumption is less than the combined Engels though I haven't measured it electronically. As an example, camped at Walkers River north of Burketown for three days in 100% shade last August with average daily temperatures in the mid 30's the 264 ah's of house battery (4 X 66 ah Optimas) was reading 12.0 volts (approx. 50 % SOC) which I reckon is pretty good considering little or no input from the solar panels.

Deano :)

More
05 Nov 2018 12:25 #8 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: OzeFridge
I also had a Waeco 161 lt upright fridge / freezer and have changed to an evakool 176 upright fridge / freezer reason for doing this was
1 there is more insulation on the evakool
2 a slightly bigger fridge
3 the evakool uses less power than the Waeco
And I have the room :))
So far I am very happy with it

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge/freezer Black dog security