01 Nov 2012 05:51 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Lomax Transfer Case
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Lomax Transfer Case
1 2 Next »

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
So has anybody done this yet?

Here's the LINK.

I don't have a need at the moment - nothing's broken, leaking or worn out - but one of these days, who knows... is the gearing right? What spline/input gear/bolt pattern?

--
Hal

October 13, 2010 at 10:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Hi Hal,at the moment is not a straight forward fitting due to the OKA specific input shaft,I have contacted the guys about a year ago to see if they were interested in supplying a 27 splines input gear with a complete Lo Max and they weren't,they don't make a divorced mounted LoMax either,but if you run an auto the 23 spline shaft should be ok,the other aproach will be to get it with any shaft and get an input gear machined in Aus but that will add another couple of grand.
Cheers
Joe
October 14, 2010 at 2:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Russell Phelan
Have a look at this mob.
advanceadapters.com/category/121/Atlas+2+speed+cases.html
Lots of choices with input/output splines. They do a divorced case too.

Russ
October 14, 2010 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Russell,the Atlas is a mean transfer,on strength is on par with the NP 205 with the advantage of a lower ratio,last time I asked for prices it was about $ 4000 or thereabouts,if enough people are wanting a LoMax maybe we can swing them into making the input gears at a reasonable price(maybe 3 to $ 500 a piece) but it have to be at least 10 as I offered to buy 5 and they show no interest
October 14, 2010 at 6:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi Hal, we are a work in progress with the V8 6.5l Optimiser 4L80E auto and lomax and will give a complete run down when all fitted tried and tested,cheers Doc
--
October 15, 2010 at 10:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Oka Paul
ordering 2 lomaxes will be getting divorced imputs made here in oz hopefully I will fit to original lowmax case otherwise I will fit to my original np205 case
November 4, 2010 at 12:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
The 205 came in GM, Ford, Dodge, and International trucks as far back as 1969, and it was produced in GM trucks until the mid '80s when the NP208 finally replaced it in all applications except for cab and chassis trucks, which kept the 205 until '91. The venerable 205 was made in lefthand drops for Ford and righthand drops for the rest, as well as remote and married versions, and late-GM applications even had a slip-yoke rear housing. Different input and output shafts were used through the years, but the core case design and center cluster gear remained the same on all units. Identifying an NP205 is relatively easy: It has a cast-iron case and center idler shaft with a nut on the front and a three-bolt cover on the rear, is about 12 inches long, has a center rear output, and usually has an ID tag above the front output shaft.

The super-tough NP205 case is found on many '70s and '80s vehicles from all manufacturers. The GM unit with the drop on the right side. The mid-'70s Ford with direct mounting and a lefthand drop.The eight-bolt racetrack type pattern on the GM case, which was used from '71 to '85, before the common six-bolt round pattern was introduced.

The NP205 has numerous variations. Different input-shaft diameters in male or female varieties, left or right drops, adapter bolt patterns or remote styles, and strange stuff I`ve never seen--yet all combine to provide a mystical aura for the hallowed 205. The most common varieties are the early-model GM with eight-bolt racetrack pattern , the Ford remote mounted with a fixed yoke on the input shaft , and the late-style GM with a slip-yoke rear output . Even input bearing diameters vary, so measure to see which one you have if you get one or have one.

Durability the TH400-to-NP205 package is ideal. The long female input shaft and six-bolt circular mounting surface make for a great package. It has a long 32-spline female input, you can get the shorter one with the eight-bolt racetrack pattern mounting for the most compact package.

The more common 205 case for GM trucks is the one with the TH350 bolted to it, which has a smaller input-bearing diameter than the TH400 application. Fortunately, you can simply bore the opening out to the larger size, if you have the right equipment.

Most early NP205 units came with the 10-spline, 1.25-inch front output shaft. Later ones came with a 30-spline, 1.25-inch shaft which is stronger, but it still isn't the best available. For serious beef you can chose the 32-spline, 1.401-inch shaft, which was found in many Ford and Dodge versions.

The 10-spliner is used for a 1310 series U-joint or CV, or a 1350 U-joint. The 30-spline worked with a 1310 CV or the 3R CV, or Saginaw type. The burly 32-spline can use a yoke for a 1310, 1330, or 1350 CV or U-joint, and even the 1450 size joint and a few other weird options. If you need the strength of the biggest, this is the one for you.

The input gears available for the 205 are many, but the main differences are male (external splines) and female (internal splines). The NP205 used these three female input gears. From left to right: Long 32-spline for the TH400 and some late SM465 trannies, short 32-spline for the TH400, and the 31-spline for Ford applications. The transmission output shaft fits directly into the input gear without a sleeve for the best arrangement, with no extra slop to develop from a sleeve. You could chose the short 32-spline for your bulletproof 205.

GM also used external-spline input gears, which required the use of a sleeve to couple to the transmission. From left to right: Fixed yoke for remote use, 10-spline for the early SM465 manual transmission, 27-spline for the TH350, and 29-spline for the early Dodge diesel manual applications.

The standard 205 shifter is a single lever running two shift rails to provide high 2WD, high 4WD, neutral, and low 4WD. These shifters aren't available anymore, but Performance Gear & Axle makes its own stock-style replacements for Ford, Chevy, and Dodge applications. In a stock 205, the interlock pin between the shift rails prevents any other combo of positions, which is both good and bad. I like to have independent control of the rails so I can have the same positions as stock, but also have low rear-wheel drive only, and low front-wheel drive only. But simply removing the interlock pin will allow the case to be put into high and low range at the same time, which is not a good thing.

By modifying the rails properly you can get high, neutral, and low out of both the front and/or rear output, without having one in low and the other in high. Both range and mode shafts should be modified, but you can get a set of modified rails , as the detents and reliefs are machined to precision, rather than just guessing at what approximate amount to grind off.

As you can see the NP205 rocks.

cheers
Rodman
April 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Gday Rodman,

Very helpfull! Thanks for all the info!

One of the benefits of the OKA is that it has a very reliable Perkins engine and NP205 transfer case but between them is (for some unknown reason, i definitely don't!) a cast aluminium bell-housing (which is prone to stripping bolts and cracking etc and is worth thousands to replace!) and a rare (can't get them anymore, and is hard to get parts for) transmission which was manufactured by an English company originally (can't remember the name right now) and then rebadged as a Spicer box.

You seem to be a knowlegable guy so i'm wondering if you know of an alternative bell-housing and 5 or 6 speed manual box which would bolt up as standard to both the Perkins Phaser 110T engine and the NP205 transfer case?

Also, most of us do order a fair amount of parts from the states, what do you have on offer? Have you got a catalogue or website etc?

Cheers
April 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
Posts: 40 I dont have a website, I have a friend here on the site that I help he lives in Newman. I will look into the bell housing and see what I can find for you over here in the states and respond to this thread.
April 14, 2011 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
Posts: 40 After thinking on this and looking up the Perkins Phaser 110T engine. it seems to me that the truck is under powered by far. Is this true? I would personal do a engine swap install LMM Duramax 6.6L Turbodiesel V8 Engine with 365 hp @ 3200 rpm and 660 lb-ft of torque @ 1600 rpm or 6.5 L with the ALLISON TRANSMISSION,1000 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC, ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED WITH OVERDRIVE, and add the Atlas 2 speed transfer case.
April 14, 2011 at 2:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
'Under powered' is always a matter of personal interpretation Rodman and has been discussed around here a bit... but I have yet to see anybody describe an Oka as 'over powered'! Or any other vehicle for that matter, now that I think about it.

Most of us are familiar with the progress of Okadoc in Newman and his plans; and I think quite a few members are waiting to see the final result before they begin similar tasks themselves. There are one or two others here already well progressed with similar setups. I agree, Duramax - Allison - Atlas and maybe Dana 80s would be one bad (good) Oka! But me, I'll have to put a lot more wear & tear on the trusty Perkins before I consider my options.
--
Hal

April 14, 2011 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
*sigh* I'm a farmer and I am constantly fixing machinery due to all kinds of reasons. I have found that simple is best, ie I don't get excited when I see a monster truck bouncing over wrecked cars I just see somebody who has the purpose and therefore has spent the money to be able to do that... If you took a monster truck into the centre of Australia you would be able to go ANYWHERE (as long as you towed a fuel trailer behind you) but as soon as you blew a hydraulic hose or overheated the engine because of the ridiculous amounts of power or blew ONE of the computers you have the person 3000km's away who is the only person who is able to help you rubbing their hands together with glee!

I've had a few different tractors on the farm here and the most reliable machine I’ve had is the 1954 Nuffield which I still use most days (although the old girl needs a breath of 'startyabastard' every start these days...), she's a bit slower than the rest but she battles on. Only one thing has broken on it EVER and I welded it up in 30 mins and was on my way. Have had multiple tractors with electronics on them and guess what broke, solenoids, computers, wiring harnesses etc mostly stuff which if I was outback I’d have to order parts in (if I didn't carry spares).

Doc in Newman runs a business around his Okas and they will be well sorted and he will carry many spares, he's also well experienced with outback travel! I will love to see the results of what he's doing because it all sounds absolutely fantastic! However, for those of us who don't want to spend that much on their vehicles and don't want to carry a heap of spares I’m trying to find solutions for the ever shortening supply of parts at reasonable prices and swap what I can to more obtainable/run-of-the-mill modules... That's my philosophy on machinery and is why I was asking...

Anyway, I’m not having a go at you personally Rodman, it seems you have a lot to offer knowledge and parts wise but I like the simple old 1Mkm (1 Mega Kilometre) Perkins with a wireless drivetrain! (how advanced is that, we have a wireless drivetrain!).

Sorry for skewing off the topic here Hal (smack my wrist later ) but I figure because I didn't get into debates on other threads about engines and power etc I’d have my rant here...

Happy oka'ing to all!
April 14, 2011 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Alister, you're not alone in that line of thinking. We've been travelling outback since 1974, originally in what were very simple Landcruisers which over the years became more and more complicated and also seemed to become more fragile. Twice in those years when it became vehicle change time we tried to buy an Oka as two adults and three kids plus all the gear resulted in an overloaded troopy. Due to Okas inability to give a firm delivery date we ended up with another Toyota on both occasions. The last troopy we kept for 10 years as they got softer and the older ones were tougher. Then in 2002 we bought the Humvee, after 9 months of blood sweat and tears it was RHD and registered and we started using it for remote outback trips at which it excelled proving to be an excellent desert mchine with like the Oka simple mechanicals and only one wire to keep the engine going.

The quest for more camping comfort sent us looking a for a self contained 4wd camper which funnily enough ended up with us buying Oka 374 last november. After 8 years of 4 wheeling and touring in the Humvee I can see where Doc and others are coming from with that big V8 diesel rumbling along and I do miss the auto and would dearly love one in the Oka but as you said I don't want all the electronic crap and the urge or need to cover long distances in short periods is no longer needed and we can plod along in the Oka as long as the gearbox and transfer case hold up ;-))

I have given thought to putting the Oka body on the Humvee chassis and running gear but don't know that i've got the will to complete the job.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 15, 2011 at 6:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
I was going to put a Duramax - Allison Combo in but I just wasn't happy with all the electronics on the Duramax and our Australian outback with its isolation.

Over Easter I am on my way to Bullet Vehicles in Queensland where I have a New HO Optimizer 6.5 (Super Charged), New Allison 1000 and a Nissan Transfer Box fitted. Bullet have been working with us for the last 6 Plus month on this package and are looking at a OKA conversion kit on a drive in drive out option full engineered. Will let you know how it all goes in about a month.

I went for the Nissan Transfer Box over the Lomax as when i contacted Lomax was told out of stock and no more being made in 2011 at this stage, the Nissan Transfer Box is bullet proof, Loads of spares in Australia and cheep

Bullet's Website

April 15, 2011 at 7:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
what model of Nissan Transfer Box did you go with? As to the Lomax TC I am sure there here in the states some where.
April 15, 2011 at 9:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
Nissan GQ Patrol Transfer box with a ratio of 2.484:1 or 24% reduction over standard Nissan. Have access to spares here in Australia
April 16, 2011 at 8:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Duramax is an electronically complex engine but when you look at the milage done by these engines you can see that reliability is one of the strong points,the electronics can be modify for the engine to deal with just the engine and that means the engine will shut down for protection,I like the simplicity of the Optimizer with the one cable,however if one is using a Allison 1000(or any of the electronic) you have a TCM to deal with,to couple an Allison to a mechanical engine you will have to go to an after market TCM and as far as i know the available TCM will only give you 5 gears, .....six speed coming soon they been saying for the last six months......so it's allways a compromise
Simplicity=P400 mechanical injection+NV 4500 or 5600 manual box or an earlier model Allison Hydraulic.
Dilemas...dilemas
cheers,joe
April 16, 2011 at 10:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi Peter, our V8 has just the basic electrical to make her go, its a mechanical fuel pump and the auto tranny has manual shift feature on a lever with cable operation and a paddle shift wireless setup on the steering wheel which is operated by simple touch with finger to change gears or fully auto mode, whatever blows ya knots back . Its designed for all occasions and if the wireless setup on the paddle wheel gives us any greif then we flick a switch and shes back in the auto stick shift operation mode.Our purpose is to have a system thats as reliable as is possible.

Cheers all Doc Davey

April 16, 2011 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi Joe, TCI transmissions make a 6 speed auto with a TCM and good for the small power plants we are using, will post photos of all with a rundown, facts and figures after we give the latest makeovers the push through the wringer, I'm lookin forward to our day of reckoning, cheers all Doc Davey
--
April 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Hi Doc,are you talking about 4L80 or Allison 1000,I contacted this guys a while back and a few of the reputable other players and Destroked was the only one working in producing a stand along module to control the Allison TCM with non electronic engines,a couple of others have a module to converse with the petrol V8 ECU,
Cheers,joe
April 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM

okadoc
Hi Joe, the 4L80E has been made into a 6 speed by TCI auto.com with all the good gear, cheers Doc
April 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Doc, you could just buy a 6L80E ;-)))
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 18, 2011 at 6:24 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.