Clutch Out

More
01 Nov 2012 11:26 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Clutch Out
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Clutch Out

Mark Pain
Hi All,

got the Clutch out of my XT last night. The pressure plate pads are worn out where the thrust bearing sits and the clutch plate itself is almost to the rivets, I think its a ceramic plate. It consists of about 8 (I think) pads, rather than being one large plate and is hard as, almost looks like bronze.

Where to for replacement clutch and refurbish pressure plate?

I note that the gearbox input shaft has about 1mm (at the spline for the clutch plate) sideways movement. This does not seem right to me. Any comments?

Regards
Mark Pain
October 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Mark,check with Paul Nott he was getting clutches at a very reasonable price,personally I don't like ceramic clutches(the type you have) also the play,can you see any wear on the input shaft? usually the wear is in the female splines of the clutch plate,check the flywheel for high/hot spots,I allways get the flywheel regrind.
Cheers
Joe
October 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Don't know where you are Mark, but when John put the new clutch inour bus we got it from local brake & clutch supply company just took in the sample & he got us a new one no hassles & wasn't that expensive either.We dont have the ceramic one though.
Cheers .....Laura
--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

October 19, 2010 at 5:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Pain
Hi all,

looking for some more advice and thanks to everyone so far.

I have the Transfer case and gearbox on the floor now and a new clutch on it's way. There is a lot of play in the gearbox input shaft, so I am going to take the gearbox somewhere to have it looked at. The Transfer case looks like it bolts to the gearbox, via a transition piece. This transition piece is about 3 or 4 inches wide and has the bracket at the bottom of it to which the motor stays bolt. Where is it best to separate the two, between the Gearbox and transition piece or between the Transfer Case and Transition piece?

Can anyone tell me the torque settings for the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Mark Pain

PS XT152
October 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Fly wheel bolts torque 105 nM (77 Ft/Lb),pressure plate bolts 10mm class 8.8 - 44nM (32 Ft/Lb,the easiest way to separate is by taken the nuts from the studs were the transfer case(cast iron housing) meets the aluminium housing ,
cheers,Joe

October 29, 2010 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Pain
Just got my flywheel back and new clutch plate. They removed the idler race from the flywheel for me. I cant remember if the idler race was flush with the clutch side of the flywheel or the engine side of the flywheel.
November 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Pain
The Input shaft of the Transfer Case and the Output shaft of the Gearbox are both male.
There is a female to female adaptor that bolts to the gearbox output shaft. This bolt had sheared off, and was Hi Tensile.

Any comments about what may have caused this?
November 12, 2010 at 4:26 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.