Kimberly mid 2018

More
15 Apr 2018 15:06 #1 by Holmz
Holmz created the topic: Kimberly mid 2018
Looks like the next trip will be the Kimberly mid year.
Something like:
ASP -> Haasts Bluff -> Kunnawarritji -> Karlamilyi National Park -> Telfer -> St Georges Ranges -> Broome
or
ASP -> Haasts Bluff -> Kunnawarritji -> Karijini National Park -> Broome

Then either:
Broome -> Tanami -> Yuendumu, ASP
or Broome -> Debry -> Gibb River road -> Kununurra -> ASP

I have about 10 questions...

1) The GPS is great on roads, and google maps is great for roads.
Even on the Great Central the GPS would show "WTF am I" question marks occasionally, so it is not great off road (Garmin)
What preferred? Hard maps like a Hema book?
Has anyone used the Hema iPad app?
What is the good way to go?

2) How does one plan a trip?[/u]
I have name of potential tracks, but finding a route from to Karlamilyi to Broome, has me going on bitumen using GoogleMaps - and I cannot even find a way into the park
And no apparent route from Karlamilyi to st. Georges NP.

I did find these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Junction_Road
https://4wda.org.au/mce_doc.php?id=68
https://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/downloads/parks/karlamilyi_info_sheet-map.pdf

3) Is this worthwhile?
http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/destination-kimberley.htmlhttp://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/destination-kimberley.html

4) Does any of it require heavy duty or wide/mud tyres?
I have the small LT 16"ers on there and I have a compressor to mount still.

More questions as I get an understanding of it...

Ta,
~Holmz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2018 15:34 - 15 Apr 2018 15:36 #2 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Kimberly mid 2018
Have a look at Exploreoz treks which usually have fairly comprehensive notes attached and also waypoiints. Sometimes a bit dated but most tracks haven't changed that much.

I use free mapping apps like osmand or sygic or mapsme or ten others, most of which have free and pay versions to suit smart phones. Open Street Maps cover the world and can be installed on Garmins. We have used them on the Garmin all over the americas, europe and Australia and they are pretty good at showing tracks as well as normal roads.

HEMA have 6 main maps that cover the whole of central Australia plus others to cover specific hotspots and also WQestprint have maps covering similar areas
Last Edit: 15 Apr 2018 15:36 by Tony Lee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
16 Apr 2018 06:40 #3 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Kimberly mid 2018
Holmz the easiest way to access Rudall River NP is from either the Telfer rd/Marble Bar or the Talawana track to the south.
We use Oziexplorer with topo and the Hema maps on a cheap ($90) chinese 7" GPS, have used it both here and overseas with absolutely zero problems. We also carry paper copies of the Hema GDT series of maps as well as a 4wd atlas covering all of Oz. The Gary Junction Rd and Talawana are both usually pretty good in fine weather, stay away if wet. Your standard tyres will be fine as long as they are not old and past there use by date, monitor pressures and drive to conditions.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
16 Apr 2018 07:18 - 16 Apr 2018 07:22 #4 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Kimberly mid 2018
Holmz, we did the GJR from Haast's Bluff to the Rudall River NP via Telfer and on to Newman in 2015 (see here).

It's fairly easy going but still pretty remote. The track to Desert Queen Baths can be a bit tricky but well worth a day or 2.

The other route from the east is not so easy, GJR, down the centre section of the CSR (not be taken lightly), west on the Talawana track, north through the Rudall River NP to Telfer and on to Marble Bar (haven't done this last little bit).

Warning, Blatant Self Aggrandisement:

If you come across the Wikipedia entry for the Gary Highway (south from the GJR to the Great Central Road), well I wrote it in 2008.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 16 Apr 2018 07:22 by dandjcr.

More
16 Apr 2018 07:41 #5 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Kimberly mid 2018
Holmz, there are lots of mapping options there days but what ever you choose, make sure they have detailed terrain maps (200,000 to 1) and off-line mode.

We've used Oziexplorer for years on a pc in conjunction with Etopo 200k maps from Exploroz . These plus a USB GPS module will give you local positional and accurate terrain information to a few metres resolution.

You do not have permissions to access this page.

These days many mobile phones/tablets can also be used offline for this purpose which are very good for urban navigation but probably won't be able to access a network for communication in more remote areas.

Another idea we're considering is a drone so that we can get a birds eye view of the surrounding terrain which you can't get from ground level.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.