Dana 60 and 70 misconceptions

More
02 Sep 2018 20:14 #1 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz created the topic: Dana 60 and 70 misconceptions
Contrary to common beliefs in 07 I spent 6 months in the US during that time I visited some manufacturers and done some training short courses,From the Dana tech Dpt own words" the diffs don't have drain plugs Not because the crown wheel bolts work out loose" (which they don't have any data to substantiate) but the reason is that if you have a Power Lok LSD the clutch discs wear and in order to extend the life of the pinion and carrier bearings you do need to wash out all the fine metal particles from the worn parts,I have been doing Dana diffs well before OKA come in the scene and if the crown wheel bolts are dry and clean and Loctited in place they will not work out loose but you will have to consider the fact that your OKA may have been tempered with over the years also If you come across loose bolts tose them clean the threads with an evaporating cleaner like brake and parts cleaner and fit new bolts Loctite them in and re torque,after that it can only be happy travels
Cheers,Joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2018 20:53 #2 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Dana 60 and 70 misconceptions
Thanks for the info Joe.

I have had heard of several diffs that have had crown wheel bolts working loose and causing further damage.

Also the carrier bearing cap bolts have a habit of coming a bit loose. I think in the service manual it states to retorque them at 50k for memory.

More
03 Sep 2018 06:16 #3 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Dana 60 and 70 misconceptions

Joseph Baz wrote: Contrary to common beliefs in 07 I spent 6 months in the US during that time I visited some manufacturers and done some training short courses,From the Dana tech Dpt own words" the diffs don't have drain plugs Not because the crown wheel bolts work out loose" (which they don't have any data to substantiate) but the reason is that if you have a Power Lok LSD the clutch discs wear and in order to extend the life of the pinion and carrier bearings you do need to wash out all the fine metal particles from the worn parts,I have been doing Dana diffs well before OKA come in the scene and if the crown wheel bolts are dry and clean and Loctited in place they will not work out loose but you will have to consider the fact that your OKA may have been tempered with over the years also If you come across loose bolts tose them clean the threads with an evaporating cleaner like brake and parts cleaner and fit new bolts Loctite them in and re torque,after that it can only be happy travels
Cheers,Joe

Thanks Joe.
What preload should the diff be under, ralative the diff spreader clearance?

More
04 Sep 2018 17:04 #4 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Dana 60 and 70 misconceptions
I think you're right on the money here Joe. When we set up #413 with the LSD's Paul Nott gave me the same advice. Eight years and around 60,000 K's later all is going well :). though it's well and truly time for 'a bit of a look'. This summer I'll pull down both diffs to see how they're traveling, new carrier bearings and reset the backlash, hopefully the pinion set up will be OK. I change the diff oil every other year with Castrol LS90 and have had no problems, gone through a few pinion seals but see these as a 'consumable' item anyway..

Deano :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz

More
04 Sep 2018 17:58 #5 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Dana 60 and 70 misconceptions
Holmz,before I forget I don't have your number as I dunk the phone in the pool and it die and that was the reason I didn't get back to you before we went away.
I don't take any notice of the Spreader clearance apart for not spreading more than.010" to .014 max I guide myself totally by measurements,once you determine the correct pinion height (3.125" for D60 and 3.5" for D70 +- the engravings on the pinion head) determine the shims required for the ring gear side and you can still maintain a ring gear to pinion backlash of .004'' for a new set up (can go to .006" for an old set up) you then preload the other side (side facing ring gear teeth) to .015" and always making sure that you retain pinion ring gear backlash and setting up bearings are definitely needed
Hope didn't confuse things too much
Cheers,Joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank, Holmz

More
04 Sep 2018 18:06 #6 by Joseph Baz
Lobo,bolts don't have habits,just poor maintenance and poor fitting procedures,I have done diffs that have clocked 300 and 400K and nothing worked out loose,I do polish the back of the ring gear and the carrier before fitting and torqueing
Cheers,Joe

More
04 Sep 2018 18:25 - 04 Sep 2018 18:30 #7 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Dana 60 and 70 misconceptions

Joseph Baz wrote: Lobo,bolts don't have habits,just poor maintenance and poor fitting procedures,I have done diffs that have clocked 300 and 400K and nothing worked out loose,I do polish the back of the ring gear and the carrier before fitting and torqueing
Cheers,Joe

Joe, what does the polishing do?

And can you advise on preload? As I need to get the diff serviced and the options are somewhat limited here, so I may need to have a double check...
Thanks Joe - I see it now :)

Thanks,
Randal
Last Edit: 04 Sep 2018 18:30 by Holmz.

More
04 Sep 2018 19:00 #8 by Joseph Baz
The polishing of the matting surfaces removes any burs that may be present around the bolt holes,also I will never use the ring gear bolts to pull the two surfaces together I just use two bolts as hole guidance and put the ring gear under 1/2 ton of pressure in the press and torque the bolts then I use Parts and brake cleaner in the bolt holes and evaporate with compress air before using permanent high strength Loctite 272 (if you fitting a new Ring gear heat it with a heat gun evenly instead of an oxy torch)
Cheers,Joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz