Parabolic springs

More
09 Oct 2019 15:01 #1 by Ralley
Ralley created the topic: Parabolic springs
On my travels this year I looked at a few army trucks being transported around the country. It got me thinking about the parabolic springs they use and if anyone has looked into them as an alternative to the standard oka springs.
Any thoughts?
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2019 18:05 #2 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Parabolic springs
Big weight saving for starters... OKA`s already ride pretty good. Parabolic should make this even better in theory.

More
09 Oct 2019 19:50 #3 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Parabolic springs

Ralley wrote: On my travels this year I looked at a few army trucks being transported around the country. It got me thinking about the parabolic springs they use and if anyone has looked into them as an alternative to the standard oka springs.
Any thoughts?
Rob

Was that you in Katherine last Thursday?

I am not sure if the springs make a massive difference on corregations as the unsparing weight is likely insurmountable.
Having enough travel and shocks that are not too stiff may be enough???

More
09 Oct 2019 20:00 #4 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Parabolic springs
Red OKA with a trailer yep.

More
10 Oct 2019 04:08 #5 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Parabolic springs
As long as they handle it ok might work out ok. I've heard of a few Canters that have been converted to parabolics breaking springs though. That might be because lots of aftermarket springs in Oz are made too hard/stiff which means they eventually snap.
I never broke any standard Toyota leaves until after many years of resetting them cold I relented and had a set hot reset by a spring mob and yep first trip they snapped within a few days.
Toyota coasters as Rob knows have parabolics on the rear and never give any trouble.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
10 Oct 2019 16:35 - 10 Oct 2019 16:36 #6 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Parabolic springs
I had an F350 4WD camper before the OKA. It had 2 leaf parabolics at the front. I broke leaves on 2 occasions during the 150,000km that I drove it, once the top one and once the bottom one.
The other "feature" is that it destroyed front dampers in very quick time. There is no inherent self damping friction with parabolics. The OKA dampers, by comparison, last for a very long time.

My view is that parabolics are a good compromise to choose if the conventional springs can not easily be made long enough to do a decent job.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 10 Oct 2019 16:36 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
20 Oct 2019 12:46 #7 by mort
mort replied the topic: Parabolic springs
Hi All,
I have a canter that needed springs reset and when I droped them off at the spring works they had parobolics there so I asked if they were better ans yes a much smoother ride so how much to convert it turned out many thousands as it is not simply take off old and fit new. I asked who makes them ans made in Japan only as they invented and only they have the ability ( equipment ) to make.
On a trip to the Kimberly a few yrs ago I met a couple with a Fuso motor home, nice setup cost a few $ and the only trouble they had is broken springs ( parobilics ) it seems they are good on the road but not so good off road.
Martyn

More
21 Oct 2019 20:35 #8 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Parabolic springs
I recall a few OKA’s braking springs. Maybe I should stick to the blacktop.
What is it that make a parabolic spring more likely to break? There are a lot of manufacturers using them.