URGENT Front Diff Spindle Assembly - Parts needed Oka #260

More
22 Oct 2020 16:25 #1 by AngusM
AngusM created the topic: URGENT Front Diff Spindle Assembly - Parts needed Oka #260
Hi All,

I'm new to the Forum but have been involved with Oka #260 for ever (Hal's nephew). We have recently had some trouble with the front passenger free wheeling hub (video attached) where the inner bearing has completely shattered itself.

Long story short...

Oka #260 will be on display with Rohny Dahl at the Perth 4wd & Adventure show at the start of November and we are urgently chasing a front diff spindle assembly specifically, the spindle and the thrust washer.

If you have one, or know where one may be please call me on 0474 297 812 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. so i can arrange to purchase it!

Thanks!!

If any of you are interested, you can follow the journey of #260 on facebook/ instagram at Explore West Aus
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2020 20:08 #2 by ABE
ABE replied the topic: URGENT Front Diff Spindle Assembly - Parts needed Oka #260
OKA parts Australia in Perth
Dean Robinson phone 0418943230
Your problem caused by lack on wheeling maintenance. You have done more damage than you think you need the spindle all bearings and seals and new throw out hud and you most likely have melted the out side of the hub to the 35 spline outer axle and if you drove it too far you will have damaged the outer hub that holds the bearing cups aswell. I know from experience doing the same thing in Esperance on tour actually doing work for the state parks fire people. My was caused by a broken brand new brake pad. We all learn the hard way.
They will have all the parts in stock. Take all the bits that you can recover including the good bits so Dean can check them to see what is damaged, as there could be more. You will need to check the other side as well ASAP if yo have not done them in the last 10,000 km or so as the beach work you guys do is hard on them.

Regards
ABE Tony

ABE Tony

More
23 Oct 2020 05:30 #3 by ABE
ABE replied the topic: URGENT Front Diff Spindle Assembly - Parts needed Oka #260
After looking at the second video I see that you do not have the hub off. With mine I was running AWM hubs that are alloy on the drive spline unit from the axle to the hub, that actually melted to the axle and I had to grind the end of the axle to get all that off. Took me hours. Firstly you need to pull the piece out that slides on the axle to engage hub, then get the axle through the next piece. Hope you have already done that as that is why the wheel and hub assembly does not come off. I know that because I drove mine for 100km with no bearings in there at all from Salmon Gums toEsperance on Xmas eve at 10pm with 10 DEC firefighters on board. Lucky I had 2 OKA’S and I pinched I took parts off the other one and was going by 9.00am Xmas day to go back to the fire front.
Dean should have all that you need and good luck, remember to do the other side. Mine actually failed due to putting in new brake pads that that some how broke the pad not the steel backing in two and the brake jammed on slightly and heated up the disc and the bearings failed, they where brand new that day. Was not a good trip, we where amazed we made it home as the assembly should off flown the coop.

Good luck.
ABE Tony

ABE Tony

More
23 Oct 2020 13:00 #4 by AngusM
AngusM replied the topic: URGENT Front Diff Spindle Assembly - Parts needed Oka #260
Thanks for the information Abe.

We are running the front chrome-moly axles coupled to a Dana 60 with Warn locking hubs. The front passenger hub had a few issues which resulted it to over heat and pull itself apart over the last couple of months (it was driving fine, no real issues) however, a lack of maintenance on our part hasn’t helped.

I’ve been in contact with Dean & Martin who think they might have leads on the spindle assembly, all other parts have been sourced through Cass.

Will keep you in the loop with how it progresses.

More
24 Oct 2020 06:46 #5 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: URGENT Front Diff Spindle Assembly - Parts needed Oka #260
Did you try Paul Knott, East Coast OKA Parts, 0418 125 428

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD. $150.00 Delivered
### OKA Manuals Now Available as a Download ###.

20mm Spring Hanger Pin Upgrade Kits.

David

More
24 Oct 2020 09:17 #6 by OKAPETE
OKAPETE replied the topic: URGENT Front Diff Spindle Assembly - Parts needed Oka #260
Second that. East Coast Oka spares. Pau Nott.

Chaplain. Won x One Chaplaincy.
AM SAE-A. AAFRB.

Oka 383. In process.... Cummins 6bt. Allison 2500 6spd. NP205. Dana 80 F & R.

More
24 Oct 2020 10:18 #7 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: URGENT Front Diff Spindle Assembly - Parts needed Oka #260

AngusM wrote: Thanks for the information Abe.

We are running the front chrome-moly axles coupled to a Dana 60 with Warn locking hubs. The front passenger hub had a few issues which resulted it to over heat and pull itself apart over the last couple of months (it was driving fine, no real issues) however, a lack of maintenance on our part hasn’t helped.

I’ve been in contact with Dean & Martin who think they might have leads on the spindle assembly, all other parts have been sourced through Cass.

Will keep you in the loop with how it progresses.

The Yukon locking assembly and the schmicko lock nut assembly (forgot the name) may also be worth considering?

More
24 Oct 2020 15:03 #8 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: URGENT Front Diff Spindle Assembly - Parts needed Oka #260
Holmz i think you might mean the stage 8 locknuts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
25 Oct 2020 06:44 #9 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: URGENT Front Diff Spindle Assembly - Parts needed Oka #260

Alister McBride wrote: Holmz i think you might mean the stage 8 locknuts?

Yeah... I was on stage 4 beers with the AFL ;)

More
05 Nov 2020 22:26 #10 by AngusM
AngusM replied the topic: URGENT Front Diff Spindle Assembly - Parts needed Oka #260
Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice!

Oka #260 was back on the road this morning after a massive effort from Cass Jones getting it ready just in hime for this weekend's Perth 4wd & Adventure Show at McCallum Park.

We ended up needing new spindles/ wheel bearing assemblies and free wheeling hubs on both the driver and passenger side, passenger side blown up and drivers side full of rust! This is probably down to a lack of preventative maintenance by myself, I don't think these have been looked at since the conversion was completed in 2012 - a mistake not to repeat.

I've attached some photos of the driver side hub...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
06 Nov 2020 08:48 #11 by Holmz
I have an extra one in a sturdy wooden box, but I is really ready for shipping to the bush.

What is wrong with yours?
Just pull it apart and go hard at it with awire brush and see if it is useable or not.
If you are not sure, then whack it into a wooden box of spares??

More
06 Nov 2020 13:21 #12 by AngusM
We have managed to salvage the one on the drivers side and will keep that as a spare. The spindle on the passenger side was beyond salvage as the bearings had fused on and needed to be cut off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
08 Nov 2020 21:13 #13 by Holmz
Grease it up good.