NT OKA---Lost

More
24 May 2013 18:49 #21 by Chris James
Chris James replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
Joe,just where should I look on an NT for the weld number??? Chris.

Chris & Shirley 096

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2013 09:49 #22 by Oka Parts
Oka Parts replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
BURNT NT OKA- BELONGED TO A LOVELY RETIRED COUPLE, DAVID & JOAN- VICTORIA.

OKA Parts Australia, 24 Murphy Street, O'Connor WA +61 892236195

More
29 May 2013 10:54 #23 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
Not good. Any ideas what happen?

More
10 Jun 2013 18:25 - 11 Jun 2013 00:33 #24 by bobrichards
bobrichards replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
Hi Guys, I'm working in Newman at the moment and I phoned Chris, got the location of said OKA and took some pictures.
A sad sad sight :-(
Here they are:

Last Edit: 11 Jun 2013 00:33 by Hal Harvey.

More
10 Jun 2013 18:36 - 11 Jun 2013 00:33 #25 by bobrichards
Three more photos, I'll see if I can find out what happened.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 11 Jun 2013 00:33 by Hal Harvey.

More
11 Jun 2013 06:43 #26 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
Wow, that doesn't look like it was in a vehicle generated fire, more like it was caught in some sort of inferno - bushfire maybe? How hot do leaf springs need to get before they invert? As you say Bob, a sad, sad sight.

More
16 Jun 2013 06:02 #27 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
Looks like it could have been an electrical/fuel problem contained to the vehicle looking at the surroundings as nothing else is burnt?

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
16 Jun 2013 06:27 #28 by Chris James
Chris James replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
OKA Lost did not burn where it now sits.There is a drag mark in the birt under the tow hitch where it was unloaded from the tilt tray and there is no ash or rubbish from the fire on the ground underneath it. One of the operators of the grounds where it now sits told me they had never seen it before it burnt,they arrived one day to do some work and there it was, as is.Burnt elsewhere. Chris

Chris & Shirley 096

More
16 Jun 2013 08:13 - 16 Jun 2013 08:14 #29 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
It wouldn't have been moved very far in that state and if was an internal fire I doubt that it would have burnt so completely from the ground up.

I don't think Newman is a real bushfire-prone area so my thinking is some sort of industrial fire (caught in pool of burning fuel?) or maybe a fractured gas cylinder (there are striped burn marks on the RH side).

Really sad no matter what the cause, imagine how you'd feel, brand new expensive vehicle, doing a big retirement trip and suddenly it's all gone. I hope the owners escaped unscathed.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 16 Jun 2013 08:14 by dandjcr.

More
16 Jun 2013 09:25 #30 by TH
TH replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
David

I have seen a couple of tractors burn to a similar state on bare ground (both had electrical faults under the cab that ignited stubble residue)

Driver's side looks like it was hotter.

My money is on Spinifex or an electrical fault.

Cheers, Tony

More
16 Jun 2013 09:35 #31 by Outback Jack
Suprised the springs have inverted.

I am not a metal or fire expert, but it looks like the springs was made with soft metal. But I am no expert.

More
16 Jun 2013 11:10 #32 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
Lobo,All you need is 500 degrees C for steel to be malleable that is not that hard to get in the centre of the fire,in my wood fired oven I get the centre of the fire to 650-800 degrees for an hour and that radiates to have the whole oven at 350-400 degrees
Cheers,Joe

More
16 Jun 2013 19:07 #33 by bobrichards
After enquiries in Newman, electrical fault was mentioned as being the cause Chris, better check the wiring on OKA 22 thoroughly I guess.
How is the eastern side Chris?

More
16 Jun 2013 19:26 #34 by Outback Jack

Joseph Baz wrote: Lobo,All you need is 500 degrees C for steel to be malleable that is not that hard to get in the centre of the fire,in my wood fired oven I get the centre of the fire to 650-800 degrees for an hour and that radiates to have the whole oven at 350-400 degrees
Cheers,Joe

Cheers Joe, I thought springs would need a lot of heat to bend, guess 500 is the number.

Rgds
OBJ

More
16 Sep 2019 11:42 #35 by Nobby
Nobby replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
That is some disaster... could only be gas cylinder or two and fuel to do such a hot burn..I notice on the image the rear wheel is 6 studs...as well as ‘barn doors’ at the rear.. that could narrow the field so far as identification is concerned...I have yet to see anything other than 8 stud wheels / hubs..
Was an LT in town last week with 22” wheels... but still the normal 8 studs.. I wouldn’t like to have to find a spare..
Cheers,
Nobby.

More
16 Sep 2019 15:05 #36 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
Crikey Nobby, you've sure been digging in the archives. :)

Fires can start for a variety of reasons, I don't know if an 'official' cause was determined in this case.

As for the wheels/axles. The original NT has/had BAE housings/axles and they weren't really very good. In fact they were renowned for failure. I don't know how many diffs/axles Rudi & Suzi went through in NT#1 but it was several. It may be that the 8 stud variant you saw was an NT with a Dana 80 'upgrade', Paul Nott has done several of these.

I'm told that Dean has this all sorted now and his replacements/spares are up to scratch.

From memory, the early NT's had 'normal' one piece rims with later models having the 'composite' rims as shown in the picture. A big benefit here is that the rims bolt together around the tyre so no special tools are needed to change a tyre. The downside though is that forgetting to air down before disassembly can lead to having your head removed as the rims separate under pressure.

Another major fail with these rims is that the tyre valve assembly comes from the inboard side of the rim centre and pokes through one of the gaps to the outside of the centre disc to allow inflation. On a previous Oka-ing Adventure an NT with these rims became bogged in river gravel and whilst trying to drive out river gravel was picked up in the inner rim and spun with the wheel neatly (well, not so neatly) guillotining the valve stem assembly between the inner rim and the brake caliper. This happened on two wheels, fortunately the NT had two spares. Unfortunately the driver had to leave the group and drive several hundred Km's into Port Headland to find that there were no suitable replacements available locally. Eventually replacements were found, 6 in all and that was the lot in WA. All were purchased. I would never consider using these rims for any serious off road work.

Deano
Attachments:

More
16 Sep 2019 15:52 #37 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
you lying down again ;-))

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
18 Sep 2019 09:27 #38 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
NT001 has the 2 piece rims.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells