NT OKA---Lost

More
12 May 2013 11:29 #1 by Chris James
Chris James created the topic: NT OKA---Lost
This morning in Newman, WA ,I had a look at an NT OKA which had been totaly destroyed by fire. Nothing was spared.It was a bus body with only two seats in the back. Sun visor,tow bar, two fuel tanks. Not much more I can add to identify it. The vin plate has been removed, probably for an insurance claim. It had been moved from the site of the fire to a secure compound and I heard a rumour that it was there.It did not make my day. Chris

Chris & Shirley 096

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2013 12:14 #2 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
Thanks Chris, not encouraging.

Did you determine if the Oka itself had caught fire or was it caught up in another fire?

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
12 May 2013 12:19 #3 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
Not good, did you get any pictures???

Maybe Doc knows something about it.

More
12 May 2013 12:34 #4 by Chris James
Chris James replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
There was no indication of how it started but it must have been a very intense fire as all glass was gone and all the springs had bowed completly the other way.The floor in the bus body was also totaly gone. There was no collision damage that I could see. As to who owned it or what or where it happened I know nothing more but will keep my ear to the ground and I might learn something. Newman is a small town. Chris

Chris & Shirley 096

More
12 May 2013 12:54 #5 by Outback Jack
Bus floor would go up pretty easily, it is just ply and then has glue etc for lino etc.

What a shame, I am taking it is a statuary write off, thats why they removed the VIN plate

More
13 May 2013 05:43 #6 by Oka Parts
Oka Parts replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
NT OKA - LOST- MAY HAVE BEEN MATT AND CATH ROGERS EX EAST COAST. DID IT HAVE BARN DOORS ON MODULE?

OKA Parts Australia, 24 Murphy Street, O'Connor WA +61 892236195

More
13 May 2013 14:35 #7 by Chris James
Yes, OKA LOST does have barn doors.A friend is trying to contact the truck operator who usualy recovers such vehicles to see if he can shed some light on things. Chris.

Chris & Shirley 096

More
13 May 2013 17:28 #8 by Outback Jack
Didnt a NT OKA fail in Newman last year?? Having to be towed to Newman?

More
13 May 2013 18:32 #9 by Russ Phelan
Russ Phelan replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
You jogged my memory OBJ so i seached for this. This is the write up about that breakdown.

September 20, 2012 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brendan Eblen
okadoc at September 20, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Hi All, had a phone call from the drive /owner I think from a sat phone at about 6 pm requesting assistance , told me they were camping down for the night and woud call again next morning, I then arrranged that night a freind with a tilt tray for a pick up the next day and Tom Cat accross the road to do the repairs for the guy as soon as it got back to Newman, as a member of the lodge we arranged for a busy bee to get the passengers back and the members arranged billeting at their homes and the lodge and a welcoming to Newman party at the lodge for when they retuned the only cost was $2/kilometer for the tilt tray and fuel for the passenger cars, Tom cat was supplying the labour with others from the lodge for a bit of the north west currency, (a few cartons on the night etc) everyone was ready to rock and roll the next day as soon as we got the call from a brother in trouble, it never arrived????
Hi fellow members, the break down was real, those who offered assistance were appreciated. Those members who read this with whom I spoke and offered wise words - THANK YOU
Not easy to arrange a vehicle recovery from CSR, some of the options were not practicle there were to many unknowns it required a complete dissasembly and only then could the issue be resolved.
I would like to thank you Doc for the offers you refer to above.(also I have written separatly to Doc)
I was able to arrange for the vehicle to be recovered into Newman there it was repaired. The passengers were ferried into Newman where the jouney continued through Wiluna, Laverton, Warrakurna, Docker River , Yulara and onto the Stuart Hiway at Erldunda on time to Alice Springs. I returned to Newman using a Toyota Coaster over the Garry Junction Rd crossing the CSR onto Punmu then Nullagine to Newman interesting drive for the first time an adventure never to be fogotten.
Vehicle repaired I drove home to Adelaide. From home to home this was a 15,000km trip over 5 weeks 2 tours.

I think that is Brendans NT at the top of the page on the banner.

Instgram @okaruss #okatruck

More
13 May 2013 18:38 - 13 May 2013 18:39 #10 by Outback Jack
OK, thanks for finding it. So if it is a different one, the moral of the story is not to take a NT OKA near Newman.

The stats for a NT OKA failure must be pretty high around Newman.
Last Edit: 13 May 2013 18:39 by Outback Jack.

More
14 May 2013 05:25 #11 by Oka Parts
The NT oka at the top on the banner is at this stage one that has been destroyed, its not Brendons, it is was Matt/Cathy from the east coast.

More
14 May 2013 17:22 #12 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost

Outback Jack wrote: OK, thanks for finding it. So if it is a different one, the moral of the story is not to take a NT OKA near Newman.

The stats for a NT OKA failure must be pretty high around Newman.

I think you'll find that Brendons NT had a flex plate failure, fortunately (if thats the right turn of phrase) near Georgia Bore which made recovery to Cotton Creek a relatively simple exercise. From memory, it was towed out by a fellow traveller with his V8 '70 series' Landcruiser. From there a good dirt road of 300 Km or more to Newman, so all up around 400 Km from Newman so don't know if this really counts as 'around Newman'. I think you'll find the accomodation/billeting mentioned was neither requested or required but a contingency plan only.

A shame about someones pride and joy going up in flames though.

Deano :)

More
14 May 2013 17:34 #13 by Outback Jack
OK, I will rephrase it, OKA NT`s in the Pilbara.....

But yes any OKA lost is a sad day

More
15 May 2013 11:32 #14 by Oka Parts
BREAKING NEWS- ITS NOT AN NT THAT BURNT TO THE GROUND. JUST SPOKEN TO THE OWNERS ON THE SUSPECTED VEHICLE AND THEY ARE EAST OF DARWIN AND ALL GOOD.

More
15 May 2013 20:20 #15 by Chris James
Hello all, OKA LOST is fitted with NT wheels, grill and headlights, 2 square fuel tanks including the small one in front of the main tank on the drivers side,air box,bull bar, dash,6cyl motor,dual front shocks (NT pattern) etc,etc. Looks like an NT to me. Chris

Chris & Shirley 096

More
16 May 2013 05:24 #16 by Oka Parts
Morning ALL- LOST OKA,correct it is an NT, belongs to a retired couple from victoria. this on slipped thru my memory bank as i hadnt heard from the for 3 or so years. will try and contact them for an update.

More
16 May 2013 20:31 #17 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
Chris,
can't be an NT if has a 6 cyl engine.they didn't have enough time to wear the ISB 4 cyl by now!!
Cheers,Joe

More
24 May 2013 17:29 #18 by Chris James
Hello all,the mystry of OKA Lost continues. The people who control the compound where it is sitting do not know who put it there and the local police have no knowledge of it so it would appear that it has not been involved in any police related incident.??????
regards Chris.

Chris & Shirley 096

More
24 May 2013 18:01 #19 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: NT OKA---Lost
Chris,have a look at the number welding at the front of the chassis,Allan may be able to thell what chassis produccion number correspond to the VIN,it will be interesting to know were the fire occurred and if the insurance covered.
Cheers,Joe

More
24 May 2013 18:33 #20 by Outback Jack
If possible some pictures would help in indentifing it.