× Welcome to the OKA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New member-Subject- OKA cabin rust

More
04 Mar 2020 14:49 #1 by Frank and Peta
Frank and Peta created the topic: New member-Subject- OKA cabin rust
Hi I'm Frank and live in Adelaide, and a recently joined member of the Oka4wd group, but not yet an owner, I have been researching as much as possible regarding possible problem areas in OKA's that I need to look at when inspecting a vehicle prepurchase. Apart from the usual mechanical areas, which are fairly common to any vehicle there is one area that i have noted people say that rust does occur in, and that is in a lower cab support beam near the front indicator. My question is this part of the cab ROPS structure and how difficult is it to get to and do outer skins of the cab need to be removed, and if this is part of the ROPS who can do the repairs and will any certification need to be produced. The mechanical inspection does not worry me as my son is a heavy vehicle diesel mechanic, but i am fully aware that body work and especially anything that may need an engineering certificate can quickly run up costs so its best to go in with open eyes. So has anyone had a corrosion problem in this area and how easy was it rectified. Being in Adelaide and our motor registration authority being as they are, make it very difficult to register any vehicle that has been modified mechanically from stock, or does not posses certificates of compliance for things like LPG or mains electrical installations, so this limits many vehicles out there that i can choose from, although I missed out on one that would have suited me because i was overseas at the time, just my luck.
On another point , what we are looking for is a finished operational camper that is roadworthy. If anyone knows or is interested in selling one please send me a message. Have been monitoring all the usual sites so I am aware of what is available interstate, but for now I'm limiting my search because its easier to view a vehicle that is in South Australia than one interstate. Would much appreciate any advice from anyone regarding these matters.
Regards,
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2020 05:24 #2 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: New member-Subject- OKA cabin rust
Hi Frank, common practice is to just cut the rusted member out and replace, what ever member it may be. I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference or know what was original factory anyway. I honestly don't know the legalities here but it has probably been done on just about every pre 2000s oka that exists by now without any legal concern. Yes, to replace the member you mention you have to replace the 'bumper bar' which runs full length under the headlights and probably worth replacing the front corner panels at the same time as if that member you mention is rusted out then all three of these panels will probably be also. It's really not a big job. That is one of the beauties of the oka, all panels and cab components can be replaced with materials from any local fabricators workshop pretty quickly and easily.

Another couple of places to look for rust are the bottom of the doors, the joins in roof panels (i made my own one piece roof but you can buy them) and around windscreen and windows in either rear doors or bus bodies (others may disagree here or have additional points to look at). All of these are fairly easy jobs and wouldn't stop me buying an oka which otherwise had good fundamentals.

Welcome to the group!

Cheers, alister

More
05 Mar 2020 08:41 #3 by Frank and Peta
Frank and Peta replied the topic: New member-Subject- OKA cabin rust
Hi Alister,
Thanks for your reply, my main concern were the corner panel removal but i suppose that if its best to replace then as well then cutting them off is no big deal. I assume that they are welded in and not just bolted. The hassle is if this area is picked up at the roadworthy inspection stage when I go to register it in my name, then the vehicle is defected and I will have to transport it back home on a tray back truck. I suppose I better allow for this work to be done prior to inspection. Do you know if there is a sketch available of this crossmember that shows its relationship with other components of the vehicle.
The later NT OKA i have gleaned that they have had problems with their axle shafts, diffs and transfer box, what are the problems and have they been resolved with revised components. Do you know what transfer box they are fitted with and if it is available in Australia.
Much appreciate the help from the members of this site that have contributed to a newbie like myself, and to all in the past in sharing their problems and solutions that assist in maintaining these special vehicles.

Cheers, Frank

More
06 Mar 2020 06:19 #4 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: New member-Subject- OKA cabin rust
Hi Frank
Give me a call, sent you a P.M. with my number

David

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David

More
06 Mar 2020 17:29 #5 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: New member-Subject- OKA cabin rust
Hi Frank, most states have an 'unregistered vehicle permit' (or that's what it's called in vic) these days, it's a national thing. You don't need a check before you get one to drive the vehicle home... As for them seeing the work when you do get a roadworthy (or equivalent), as i said above, i wouldn't worry about it, have a chat to David (above) and he'll point you in the right direction.
As for the NT, i don't know too much about them. I know some got retrofitted with Dana 80 diffs and NP205 transfer cases from East Coast OKA Spares (Paul Knott) and they are invincible. Others i believe got updated parts but i'm not too up to date on that, maybe someone else can help here...?
Cheers, alister

More
07 Mar 2020 08:46 #6 by Frank and Peta
Frank and Peta replied the topic: New member-Subject- OKA cabin rust
Thanks Alister, my concerns over the front crossmember have been resolved after seeing a vehicle yesterday. The job of replacing it should be strait forward. As to the vehicle search, I will keep looking.
Thanks to all that I have spoken to.
Regards, Frank