× Welcome to the OKA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Looking for Oka owners

• Ralley
  • Ralley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
13 Nov 2012 06:22 #1 by Ralley
Ralley created the topic: Looking for Oka owners
Hi all,
My name is Robert, I run Mission Awareness Tours For Australian Indigenous Ministries I take groups to visit Aboriginal communities throughout Australia where we have workers. I've been looking into an Oka to replace our Coaster bus for a little while now. I've been to Melbourne and spent some time chatting with Paul and spoken to Robin in WA. I have also asked several questions here in the past.I have also briefly a look at a bus in Cairns. So far I have been impressed with what I've learnt.
I would really like to have more of a look at an Oka (A bus would be great but anything will do) and talk with someone that has lived with one and can show me the good and the bad. I'm also yet to have a ride in one to see how they ride etc. If there is someone that lives around Sydney or on the Mid North Coast that could help me please let me know I would really appreciate your help.

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2012 17:55 #2 by Hal Harvey
Hal Harvey replied the topic: Looking for Oka owners
Rob, you may have come in to the new site a bit early for many people to see your request. You could do worse than to stick your head into Mystery Bay on the last weekend in February , if that works for you.

Principal advisor to the Minister for Tourism, Liza Harvey MLA
... OKA 260 ... "I'm not leaving any sooner than I have to!"
www.byles.net/OLDportal/members-vehicles-public/5-oka-260

• Ralley
  • Away
More
05 Dec 2012 18:53 #3 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Looking for Oka owners
Thanks for your offer I might just do that. At this point I think an Oka would be well suited to our needs but I still am yet to have a ride in one and talk seriously with some of you who have spent a lot of time in one.
I'm also spending some time in Canberra over the holiday season if there is someone willing to share their knowledge.

More
06 Dec 2012 07:54 #4 by Len208
Len208 replied the topic: Looking for Oka owners
Hi Rob,
Rina and I have been living full time in our converted bus for 2years now,and it is a brilliant vehicle.However bear in mind these are 16-20 years old now, and buses especially have probably had a full life.Our experience has been that it is HIGH maintenance and can be an expensive.That said there is nothing available,apart from unimog,which is probably more expensive to run, that will work for us.

More
06 Dec 2012 10:00 #5 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Looking for Oka owners
Agree, an OKA is Not a Toyota or Nissan and as such requires more maintenance.

However parts can be cheap if you dig around a little.

If you want something that will drive to Darwin and back, without checking anything, then a OKA is not for you. You really need to get under an OKA every day, perhaps grease it every 2nd.

They are more like a truck and require more maintenance for this reason. However keep the maintenance up and you will have one of the best off road 5 tonne vehicles around.

• Ralley
  • Away
More
06 Dec 2012 19:29 #6 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Looking for Oka owners
I drive the bus and do all our maintenance so that part is not a problem. At least you can get under an OKA. I would be interested to hear about the things that give problems.
Rob

More
26 Dec 2012 21:53 #7 by Cando
Cando replied the topic: Looking for Oka owners
As we are about to start traveling, I too would be interested in knowing what maintenance to look out for when on the road.

Cando
XLT-112

More
27 Dec 2012 07:48 - 27 Dec 2012 07:51 #8 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Looking for Oka owners
Ralley, Cando, suspension problems would be top of my list, followed by electrical faults due to old wiring and corroded connections.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 27 Dec 2012 07:51 by dandjcr.

More
27 Dec 2012 07:57 #9 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Looking for Oka owners
Think Cando has made a complete new wiring loom etc, so that shouldnt be much of an issue.

I noticed on 169 that the outer sheath is no longer as flexible as new cable. It can be a bit brittle.

I think the manual states to check U bolts every 5000k in rough going. I have had U bolts come loose before.

As Cando has completely rebuilt his OKA, I would suggest going over U bolts etc etc for the first few weeks every day, then perhaps not as regular.

More
27 Dec 2012 20:45 #10 by Cando
Cando replied the topic: Looking for Oka owners
Cheers guys,
think general go over at regular stops would be a good start.
XLT112 Has got new wiring harness , suspension and all the rest. But this doesn't mean it won't have the normal issues.
The reason for the new harness is when I stripped it I found the original harness was crap. When I cut in to the harness there were crimp join after crimp join, not s solder joint anywere.

Cando
XLT-112