× Welcome to the OKA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

We're back. Or was it just me?

More
07 May 2013 03:20 - 07 May 2013 03:23 #1 by Russ Phelan
Russ Phelan created the topic: We're back. Or was it just me?
Was there some site issues or was it just me?

Russ

Edit:
It must have been site no other posts for a few days.

Thanks to the gurus for sorting it.

Instgram @okaruss #okatruck
Last Edit: 07 May 2013 03:23 by Russ Phelan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2013 04:42 #2 by Chalkie
Chalkie replied the topic: We're back. Or was it just me?
I second that. I was getting withdrawal symptons.

More
07 May 2013 05:19 #3 by OKA370
OKA370 replied the topic: We're back. Or was it just me?
Well done guy's!!! Couldn't have my afternoon coffee without checking on the lastest news.

More
07 May 2013 05:49 - 07 May 2013 05:54 #4 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: We're back. Or was it just me?
There's a distinct whiff of the burning of midnight oil around here

Thanks guys

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0
Last Edit: 07 May 2013 05:54 by PeteFox.

More
07 May 2013 06:22 #5 by MichaelLHession
MichaelLHession replied the topic: We're back. Or was it just me?
Hi,

I also was wondering if the sight was ever going to come back. I can now relax.

A couple of points:
1. Who do we email with queries about the site, who is the webmaster? I tried, when the site was not coming up this time, webmaster@byles.net*( I have added the * as the site would not accept the correct address, as it is spam protected), but wasn’t sure if this was correct and I did not get a reply.
2. Is there a link on the website for the webmaster?
3. On the home page there is an email link, but it is only a ‘generic’ link and, from my understanding, you still have to put in an address to send to and then the email sends the link to the website to that person.
4. The homepage : www.oka4wd.com/home
When I open this page there is NO navigation bar, so I can’t go into the website. I have to physically go to the address bar overwrite ‘home’ with ‘forum’ to access the rest of the website. Where is the navigation bar? I am using Firefox for my browser.

Michael Hession

Michael Hession
OKA 160

More
07 May 2013 06:44 #6 by Hank Onthewater
Hank Onthewater replied the topic: We're back. Or was it just me?
Like Micheal H, I was tempted to email someone that the site was down, but I thought there are over 200 members and the last things the administrators need is to receive 200 emails that the site is down. I am sure they had noticed!

As others may have as well, I received an email from David R. yesterday explaining a few things. It is good to see the site back up. There was a similar thread started by Paul S. a few weeks ago, praising the site administrators for their (unpaid) work.
I agree with Rick W as posted in the other thread:

It's my vote that if valuable stuff comes up on the site its up to individuals to take and protect their own copy.

Thank you David, James, Hal and any others that contribute to this site!!!!!

More
07 May 2013 06:57 #7 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: We're back. Or was it just me?
I could be way off the mark, my ignorance of setting up websites being complete, but I presume someone must be paying for hosting bytes somewhere. Without the support of the users, there is probably not much money available to pay for the most reliable hosting setup.
For my part, I would be very pleased to have the opportunity to help pay for the costs and I am sure that most on this site would also. I understand that our three main drivers may not like to ask for contributions, but maybe the rest of us could push the issue.
I literally save many hundreds of dollars because of the great information and help available on this site. I also enjoy the site and that is hard to value.
If someone will tell me where to send a donation, I will do so straight away and think it is the best money I have spent this year.
Cheers and thanks,
Paul

More
07 May 2013 06:58 #8 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: We're back. Or was it just me?
G'day, folks, yes the site does appear to be back up this morning, a testament to James and the host company's efforts.

Be aware however, that after an event such as we have just had, that there may still be some lingering unidentified problems.

If you come across anything untoward, let us know.

In the event the site is ever down again, we will endeavour to contact members once we have a grasp on the situation, or you can use the address in the email I circulated yesterday.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
07 May 2013 07:09 #9 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: We're back. Or was it just me?

Paul Scherek wrote: If someone will tell me where to send a donation, I will do so straight away and think it is the best money I have spent this year.

Paul

Paul
I agree with you entirely, but a word of caution.

I have been down this road before with another forum and it creates a bit of a legal minefield. Once you start to formalise things like this the issue of legal liability arises, and then the issue of insurance and then to protect everybody comes incorporation, and then committees, annual reports, treasurers secretaries and all that other stuff.

I'll happily go where the members here want to go with donations and anything else because it is a really such a valuable website, but I don't think it is as simple as that.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
07 May 2013 08:15 #10 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: We're back. Or was it just me?
Pete,

I sometimes think the world would be a much better place if we could just delete the whole legal profession. It is just so bloody silly that one segment of society makes rules that prevent another segment of society from behaving in a friendly, mutually supporting manner.

Your point is a good warning - I am sure none of us want all that complication, so maybe we could just gift some money to a friend? Nothing to do with the website at all........

More
09 May 2013 06:42 #11 by Greg 210 and Dean 366
Greg 210 and Dean 366 replied the topic: We're back. Or was it just me?
I agree Paul ans have had the same idea myself. So all we need to know is where we send our GIFT and to whom. Please advise.