East coast 2020 gathering

More
05 Nov 2019 12:00 #1 by Harry
Harry created the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
Well it is that time of the year again
Steve Oka 393 asked me if there was going to be a gathering in 2020
Anyone got any suggestions?????

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge/freezer Black dog security
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth, Chris126, 210greg, Moore

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2019 07:41 #2 by Tim R
Tim R replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
Hi Harry
what about Fry's Hut or Pineapple Flat great large camp areas on the Howqu ?

Tim & Melissa
OKA Twin Cab 255
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
02 Dec 2019 23:11 - 02 Dec 2019 23:31 #3 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
Fry's and Pinapple both great spots
Last Edit: 02 Dec 2019 23:31 by Rick Whitworth.

More
03 Dec 2019 03:53 #4 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
Might we be better to delay it until later in the year to cooler weather and have it somewhere more central like in NW NSW or western Qld so that it is more central and possibly more of the South Australians and Queenslanders could attend.
It would then be a truer East coast get together rather than a Victorian with a few NSW or a NSW with a few Vics and Qlders.
Australia Day weekend is always very warm which in turn means we have to head to the higher altitudes or somewhere with water as does most of the population at that time of year.
Maybe we should also try to organise a National one down the track in Central Australia? Holmz?

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
03 Dec 2019 04:11 #5 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
also have issue with fires don't think I would like to venture to far into the bush this summer

More
03 Dec 2019 15:29 #6 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
Agree with both Peter and Greg. The traffic at that time of year is also a pain - and it would be nice to locate it more 'National Friendly'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
04 Dec 2019 05:59 #7 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
Sounds like a plan
Pick a date and a place and let’s
Lock it in ( Eddie ) ha ha
Hay NSW might be an idea ???
Sandy Point Reserve
Meriola Point Reserve
Just for thought as it would be more central for NSW / VIC / SA and others that want to attend
Cheers

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge/freezer Black dog security

More
04 Dec 2019 07:09 #8 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
I was thinking of somewhere more central to all 4 states like around Louth NSW which is pretty much equidistant from the three eastern state capitals and Adelaide.
But not worth doing that until the drought breaks as it is extremely dry out there.

More
12 Dec 2019 17:48 #9 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
I remember working out the most central point from every capital city is Currawinya National Park near Hungerford. I was there last week with my grandson (in the Nissan Patrol Ute). It is famed as one of the best bird places in Australia, Unfortunately in this drought everything was dry so only the usual desert birds. If there is water in the big lakes - one salt and one fresh - as there usually is, it is teeming.

Hungerford and the 130 year old pub is a destination in itself. From Bourke for the souherners and Cunnamulla for the northerners. From memory exactly the same distance for Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide. A couple of hundred more for Melbourne and Alice Springs (via Plenty).

Lang

More
12 Dec 2019 18:10 #10 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering

Peter and Sandra OKA 374 wrote: Might we be better to delay it until later in the year to cooler weather and have it somewhere more central like in NW NSW or western Qld so that it is more central and possibly more of the South Australians and Queenslanders could attend.
It would then be a truer East coast get together rather than a Victorian with a few NSW or a NSW with a few Vics and Qlders.
Australia Day weekend is always very warm which in turn means we have to head to the higher altitudes or somewhere with water as does most of the population at that time of year.
Maybe we should also try to organise a National one down the track in Central Australia? Holmz?

It is a bit warm in the centre, and I probably have less knowledge than average on the centre.
But the idea sounds good.

As Sean needs to get his & Yasmin's vehicle over, I was looking at this post to see if dates fit ;)

More
15 Dec 2019 16:51 #11 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
I would of thought around March/April would be ok for camping near Hungerford. Pick a date and I'm sure people will turn up.

More
15 Dec 2019 18:30 #12 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
The big problem is Peter that there has been no rainfall for a few years and none expected in the near future so it is very very dry out there at the moment.

More
15 Dec 2019 21:39 #13 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering

Peter and Sandra OKA 374 wrote: ...

How does one organise a club in Au with insurance etc?
We may need to form an OKA-ASP club to manage these things...

Are any OKA owners in central Au this week?

More
16 Dec 2019 04:05 - 16 Dec 2019 04:18 #14 by Lang
The Long Range Maranoa Rain Forecast (Includes Currawinya) is slightly below average for January and above average, including a couple of "Well Above" months for the entire year.

We did get a few heavy showers in the area when out there a couple of weeks ago but very local. Far from getting the creeks flowing.

Holmz

I think the OKAroos are a pretty independent bunch and it would be like herding cats trying to have a rigidly organised event. There is no club at the moment so no liability, committees, bumph-churning secretaries and more importantly, rules. The forum gives everyone contact and advice (the kids would call it an e-club) and it has been proven that very simple and polite to and fro on the forum has created good roll-ups for several years.

If you have a beaut Central Australian idea I am sure you will get a good idea of attendance from the posts. I certainly would look at supporting a gathering anywhere agreed by the mob, as in the past.

Lang
Last Edit: 16 Dec 2019 04:18 by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth, 210greg

More
16 Dec 2019 08:29 #15 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
As Lang said it was decided many years ago to avoid having a "club" as such as it avoids all the legal stuff.
Those that were at Geehi a few years ago where we had discussion with the NPWS rangers who were upset that we didn't advise them that a club was visiting the park on the Australia day weekend couldn't get their head around that "nobody" organised it and "nobody" knew how many were attending. As Lang said it was just announced that from X date until X date Oka's were welcome at X and nobody ever knew how many were attending etc as there was no formal organisation.
Oka owners from say Melbourne might have an idea who from that area was attending but nobody would know exactly who was coming from where as it was just usually word of mouth/internet.

More
19 Dec 2019 10:04 #16 by Dodge47
Dodge47 replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
Hi all A’s new OKA owners we would be up for a Hungerford visit, we’ve stayed at 10 mile bore just north of Hungerford a few times in the past. It used to have a tank and plenty of bore water flowing into a small lake last time we were there.

More
21 Dec 2019 19:41 #17 by Lang
As of two weeks ago the bore and tanks are still OK but the little lake - a couple of hundred metres across at the best of times, was only half full. The bore is actually on about 50 acres of public land near the road and not part of the park so you can have good camping without approvals,

Lang

More
30 Dec 2019 08:58 #18 by Peter and Carla #396
Peter and Carla #396 replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
Carla and myself are at Lake Cargelligo.
I think it would make an excellent location for the 2020 gathering as it is central to Sydney Melbourne and Adelaide (sorry Queensland)
There is still plenty of water in the lake,excellent swimming and 2 large camping areas on the shore to choose from.
I suggest we make it on Wed 4th March as it would be good swimming weather still and then a easy travel to Corowa for those who are going to the military gathering.
What do you all think?
Cheers Peter

More
30 Dec 2019 09:25 #19 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Sounds good, might be a bit cooler by then too and you never know it might rain as well!

More
30 Dec 2019 10:10 #20 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: East coast 2020 gathering
Sounds like a plan I like it
All the very best for the year 2020 guys travel safe and keep healthy cheers