Centramatic Wheel Balancers

More
06 Apr 2014 10:50 #1 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack created the topic: Centramatic Wheel Balancers
Any one have experiences with these?

Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2014 12:51 #2 by Hal Harvey
Hal Harvey replied the topic: Centramatic Wheel Balancers
I have no experience with them but would also be very interested to hear.

I've just done seven years with tyres that were powder balanced when they were mounted in the USA, and been very happy with them; but I've been to two tyre fitters lately sounding them out about fitting new tyres that I have coming, and neither want to do powder balancing, both wanting to do external balancing (but offering no guarantees of satisfaction). They each have their arguments against powder balancing, and they see a lot more tyres than I do.

My one concern with powder balancing in the past has been that it may have stuffed up internal tyre pressure sensors. Neither of the fitters referred to above had that on their list of objections.

If Centramatics do work well, all issues would be addressed.

Principal advisor to the Minister for Tourism, Liza Harvey MLA
... OKA 260 ... "I'm not leaving any sooner than I have to!"
www.byles.net/OLDportal/members-vehicles-public/5-oka-260

More
06 Apr 2014 15:51 #3 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Centramatic Wheel Balancers
They do work well, lots of Hummer H1 owners run them as you can't use powder on vehicles with CTIS as the powder blocks the system.
They are a bit pricey here in Oz though. They won't cure massive imbalance but if you have the wheel and tyre balanced first they will cope with normal variations.
Hal did you ever have problems with valve blockage when lowereing tyre pressures? I tried the powder and despite fitting so called "filtered valves" which the powder wasn't supposed to get into they still blocked up.
Tyre fitters also hate the powder as it makes a huge mess and if you get damp air in the tyre from a compressor the powder tended to clump.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
06 Apr 2014 17:23 - 06 Apr 2014 17:31 #4 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Centramatic Wheel Balancers
200 dollars each I think from the States is still a bit of coin.....

But if they save a few tyres, well might be ok.

Seems Hummer guys love them
Last Edit: 06 Apr 2014 17:31 by Outback Jack.

More
06 Apr 2014 18:17 #5 by Hal Harvey

Peter and Sandra James OKA 374 wrote: Hal did you ever have problems with valve blockage when lowereing tyre pressures? I tried the powder and despite fitting so called "filtered valves" which the powder wasn't supposed to get into they still blocked up.
Tyre fitters also hate the powder as it makes a huge mess and if you get damp air in the tyre from a compressor the powder tended to clump.

I never had a problem, and have mostly had valve stems that came with a TPMS butterfly on the inside - so nothing special; and I always use Staun deflators, which leave the valve in place (unlike an ARB deflator for instance). So that was probably just good luck with the type of grit that was used, but I might not be so lucky next time. I could also always picture the clumping with damp air getting pumped in, but would always expect that any clumps would very rapidly get smashed apart again anyway.

OBJ that's $200 for a set of four, not each, so lots better. Figure out which ones we should have and I'll get a set and try them. I'll put them straight on without pre-balancing and see if that works; if not I can always get the new wheels externally balanced and re-fit them.

More
06 Apr 2014 18:42 #6 by Aussie Iron
Aussie Iron replied the topic: Centramatic Wheel Balancers
I use stainless tyre beads in my 315/75x16 tyres on my Canter 4x4. Have not had any problem with them even though I air down and up when needed. They are easy to reuse because even that they say they are stainless, quality can't be real good as I use a magnet to collect them out of the tyre when doing repairs if needed. Not showing any sign of rust from moister. Not had any problem with tyre valves getting blocked. Here's a link to what I have used. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/tire-wheel-balancer-beads-balancing-beads-24oz-GUARANTEED-/390802322526?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5afd
Dan.

More
06 Apr 2014 19:28 #7 by Outback Jack
200 for all four is good.

Might have to budget for them and give them a go....

More
06 Apr 2014 20:25 #8 by Hal Harvey

Aussie Iron wrote: I use stainless tyre beads in my 315/75x16 tyres

Oh gawd, now too many options. Dan do they rattle at all? Any ideas how much weight you used in each tyre?

More
07 Apr 2014 07:25 #9 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Don't know that I'd like to have those stainless bead rumbling around in the alloy rims with the internal tyre sensors, reckon there would be a bit of damage at some stage.
The 16" alloys with 315 tyres never give a problem anyway, I ran with them unbalanced for a couple of thousand k's before I had them balanced and they were pretty well balanced without being done.

More
07 Apr 2014 09:32 - 07 Apr 2014 09:32 #10 by Hal Harvey
I rang the Centramatic Australian distributor this morning - $330 inc GST for a set of four - that translates as ok by me, very little extra and saves on the rooting around and risk of any issues (as opposed to importing them myself). I think he was based in Sydney.

Last Edit: 07 Apr 2014 09:32 by Hal Harvey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, TH

More
07 Apr 2014 12:09 #11 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Centramatic Wheel Balancers
Hal
Are these supplied with 5/8" wheel stud holes or do they have to be drilled?

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
07 Apr 2014 12:34 - 07 Apr 2014 12:37 #12 by Kav1050
Kav1050 replied the topic: Centramatic Wheel Balancers
I am interested in these also. New tyres have only done 8k and some weights now missing, need to re balance.

Here is the website for distributor Hal Mentioned. There is a page to reference the part number for specific fitting options.
www.truckalign.com.au/centramatic-balancing-system.html

Shane

OKA 423 Shane and Lisa :)
Last Edit: 07 Apr 2014 12:37 by Kav1050.

More
07 Apr 2014 12:55 #13 by Hal Harvey

PeteFox wrote: Hal
Are these supplied with 5/8" wheel stud holes or do they have to be drilled?

He took the info from me (he was on the road) and will get back to me later. I saw on the USA manufacturer's website to 'let him know' if the vehicle had 5/8" studs so I expect I will get them already sized correctly (I let him know) but I haven't asked whether they'll be special order ex USA or if he'll drill them locally. Doesn't bother me as I still have a month up my sleeve. I'll also get a pair for the camper trailer, which has 8 on 6.5 as per the OKA but only 1/2" studs.

I've just perused a few independent reviews on the web and they get plenty of positive feedback.

I'll skip Dan's stainless steel balls as I also hope to be able to experiment with strap-on TPMS sender units on the wheel centres, and they probably wouldn't complement each other.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PeteFox, DarrenWebster303

More
07 Apr 2014 17:26 #14 by Aussie Iron
Aussie Iron replied the topic: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Hal Harvey wrote:

Aussie Iron wrote: I use stainless tyre beads in my 315/75x16 tyres

Oh gawd, now too many options. Dan do they rattle at all? Any ideas how much weight you used in each tyre?

No noise from them at all. They are running in Kuhmo KL71s on alloy rims and show no sign of hitting the rim. I have heard of some that are running them with internal TPMS and not having a problems as they are forced to the outside by centrifical force. The tyres weight in at approx 36Kg (79 LBS) and you use 1oz per 10Lbs = 8ozs about 227 grams. I don't like the internal TPMS as you need to pull the tyre off to replace the batteries and they don't last as long as they say. I use external Tyre Dogs and have not had a problem and we do a lot of mud running.I replace the batteries in mine about once a year.

Dan.

More
07 Apr 2014 17:46 #15 by DarrenWebster303
DarrenWebster303 replied the topic: Centramatic Wheel Balancers
Hal as usual you are all over it. Im in for a set if you wish to do a group order, or happy to organise my own if its a hassle. :)

More
07 Apr 2014 18:46 #16 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Peter and Sandra James OKA 374 wrote: .....................................but if you have the wheel and tyre balanced first they will cope with normal variations.......................................

If your wheels have been balanced already what do you need these other 'balance devices' for ?

Deano :)

More
07 Apr 2014 19:32 - 07 Apr 2014 19:37 #17 by Hal Harvey

Dean and Kaye Howells wrote: If your wheels have been balanced already what do you need these other 'balance devices' for?

That would be for when you scrape off a balance weight, or attach a clump of mud, or lose a chunk of rubber... I've certainly come back from some trips with enough limestone formed up inside the rims to overpower any fixed balance weight.

But I'd rather try them just on their own, no prior balancing.

There's a good video here of how it works:

Last Edit: 07 Apr 2014 19:37 by Hal Harvey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Joseph Baz, outyonda, PeteFox

More
07 Apr 2014 19:58 #18 by Hal Harvey

Aussie Iron wrote: I don't like the internal TPMS as you need to pull the tyre off to replace the batteries and they don't last as long as they say. I use external Tyre Dogs and have not had a problem and we do a lot of mud running.I replace the batteries in mine about once a year.

Thanks Dan, good to know the stainless balls are quiet in an aluminium wheel, but I would still have some concerns about potential damage to a TPMS sender without first-hand knowledge. I am up to speed with the options in senders (see the third post at www.oka4wd.com/on-the-road/750-tyre-pres...tooth-the-itpmsystem ) but if I can get them, am still keen to try the strap-on type with the longest battery life. If the tyres outlast me and the batteries, we can still revert to the one-year external type that you and I are both currently using (and I'm losing occasionally) rather than pulling the tyres off to replace the internal batteries - best of both worlds.

The other thing in favour of Centramatics for me is that when this little project is complete, I will have three different sets (sizes) of wheels and tyres, but won't (shouldn't) have to get any of them balanced, which sounds like a good plan.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter and Carla #396

More
07 Apr 2014 20:00 #19 by Outback Jack
Hal - Iam happy I have managed to help you spend some of your coin.......

Will be intrested in how you go.

I think Darren is getting a set too. Cant remember what rim/tyre size he has.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hal Harvey

More
08 Apr 2014 06:16 #20 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Our Sensatyre internal strap on sensors have been fitted now for about 3 1/2 years, all still working ok. As the Oka sits a lot (too much ;-))) and the sensors have inertia sensors to power them down when stationary they have quite a long life.
Re the inertia sensors the one in the spare which is on the rear carrier quite often doesn't wake up as it isn't moving enough to make it turn on unless you go around a corner of over a large bump.