Fuel Tanks

More
16 Nov 2012 20:00 #1 by mort
mort created the topic: Fuel Tanks
Hi all, I'm looking at getting 2 tanks made to replace what I have approx 200 Lt each the thing is I have no idea what is a good price. I have been given an approx price of $800 each they will be steel.
The question is has anyone had tanks made and is this a fair price.
martyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2012 20:33 #2 by Hank Onthewater
Hank Onthewater replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
Hi Mort
I am getting a quote on Monday for aluminium tanks (4 mm thick) approx 190 litres each.
Hank

More
17 Nov 2012 06:59 #3 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
Hank
Mort, outback Jack outyonda & you want fuel tanks. A package deal could be the go for a fair price.

Brett

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405

More
17 Nov 2012 07:17 #4 by Hank Onthewater
Hi Brett,
Just sent you a private message regarding this. I am getting a price for 4 tanks: 190-200 lt x2 for myself and 2 around 250 lt each, for Mick (Oka #236) as his camper body is a little wider. I was promised a price by Monday, will let you know here.
I think David R. has transferred the posts where I put my existing fueltanks up for sale to this new website; not sure if all details have come across. If not, I will re-post.
Hank

More
17 Nov 2012 07:57 #5 by moka
moka replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
Hi Mort, brett

I looked into this myself (130ltr tanks) last year and was told by forum members that oka looked into this and determined the chassis would crack with extra weight and fuel sloshing around?

cheers

Jessel

More
17 Nov 2012 11:49 #6 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Fuel Tanks

Hank Onthewater wrote: I think David R. has transferred the posts

Hank, I am going though the For Sale entries on the old web site to see which ones are still current or relevant enough to transfer to the new site. It's a time consuming process and the priority was Maintenance and On the Road entries, followed by Oka Gatherings.

I have also recovered all of the photo albums and videos and will transfer them when we've got that section up and running.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
17 Nov 2012 21:00 #7 by mort
mort replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
Hi all I can look at a better price for bulk order,Hank I did get advice from several people on what material to make tank from as I was leaning to aluminium but for the OKA and its off road use that once ali is bent it cant be rebent and it is harder to repair in the bush although 4 mm is thick. Moka I will 200lt sloshing around would be a problem but if baffles are installed it will solve that problem,I had a look at the chassis today and with the bracing I dont think the extra weight would be a problem and in your case at 1 kg per Lt its only increasing say 25 kg but taking your comment I can easily brace off the tray so the weight is more evenly supported and not canter levered off the chassis
Thanks all for comments
Martyn

More
19 Nov 2012 17:58 #8 by Paul and Sue Crompton
Paul and Sue Crompton replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
Hi Folks
I have about 190 litres per side in oblong tanks. The vehicle has done a lot of miles on corrugated roads including the Tanami about 20 times, that I am aware of, and I haven't noticed any cracks. If anyone wants a photograph of the fittings, please let me know and I will try to get you a couple. They are made out of steel with baffles inside. They were fitted by the previous owner. I think there may have been similar discussions on the previous website. Bye for now.
Paul Crompton.

Paul Crompton - OKA 168

More
24 Nov 2012 11:32 #9 by Hank Onthewater
Paul, if you could make pictures of the fittings and post them, that would be great.

I got a quote for aluminium tanks: $1250 each, see attached drawing and details.
The quote is for tanks 1400 mm long (approx 240 lt), that means the batteries need to find a home elsewhere. A tank of 1100 mm long (approx 190 lt) that fits between suspension and battery, might be slightly cheaper.

They are made in 2 halves with a full weld either side. If these weld-seams are on top and bottom and the visible side (of fueltank) will be be nicer visually, however with the welds on top and bottom, the drain and the fuel pickup might not get the last drop out because of the ridge down the middle (lengthwise).
If the welds are on either side, then these welds are visible.

If anyone is interested in such tanks at these prices please contact me, or I can give you the details of the guy via private message. The earliest he can make these is early Feb.
hank

More
24 Nov 2012 12:11 #10 by Paul and Sue Crompton
Hank, I will draw up a couple of quick sketches as it is a bit tight to get a camera in underneath, probably within a couple of hours. Paul.

Paul Crompton - OKA 168

More
24 Nov 2012 14:21 #11 by Paul and Sue Crompton
Hank, I think my dimensions work out to be about 190 for each tank and an extra 40 litres at the rear in gerry cans if required. I have found the front tanks to be more than ample capacity for my travels. Generally, I only take advantage of this if I am driving long distances and I don't have to stop at the more expensive fuel stops. If I was building again, I would only go for a similar size as I find if I am staying out in the bush for some time, it is not the fuel that is an issue but being able to carry enough water is more of an issue. The only track I can think of that you would need much larger capacity is the Canning and even then you can usually get fuel along the track at communities. As far as finding places for your batteries, I have more battery space behind the rear diff. Please feel free to email or ring me. Hope this helps. Below is a rough sketch and some photos (the pink indicates the triangle support brackets, one on each end is all I can see). Paul.

File Attachment:

File Name: OkaFuelTank.pdf
File Size:618 KB

Right side, battery front, gas bottle rear

Actual tank (spade underneath)

Rear triangle mount which goes up to chassis & wraps around with another triangle

Front triangle welded directly onto chassis, few inches higher than bottom of tank (reinforcement plate welded on tank)

Provision for steel gerry cans behind rear mud flaps on each side, hinged from front of holder

Paul Crompton - OKA 168

More
01 Dec 2012 07:59 #12 by Hank Onthewater
Thanks Paul, very helpful. I also like the jerrycan storage, hehe, a lot cheaper than custom made/fitted tanks. Indeed bigger tanks are only needed on these longer (or very long) trips. Yes, it also may save some $$ by being able to bypass those fuelstations where they charge a fortune, however these kind of savings never pay for the costs of the tanks itself (I think). Anyone has any idea of these kind of savings?
hank

More
07 Dec 2012 10:54 #13 by Hank Onthewater
Just did some calculations, if I would save some dollars having larger fuel tanks (ie 400 to 500lt). That way I could access always cheap city fuel prices, as the range would be 2400 to 3000 Km. [td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
km perlitres$ per
litreusedlitrecost
city,cheap40%6.01,333$1.45$1,933
country40%6.51,231$1.65$2,031
bush, 4x420%4.01,000$1.95$1,950
total3,564$5,914
comparison with cheap fuel3,564$1.45$5,168
savings$746
all based on travelling 20,000 km per year

Assuming all the figures are correct in above table and the cost for 2x 250 litre tanks is $3k than the investment will pay off over 4 years. This is the best case scenario, for 20k Km per year.
If we are able to sell our 'old' standard tank(s) the change-over becomes slightly more attractive.

If, no, when the price of fuel goes up, so does likely the difference between city and remote prices, and the savings will increase.
For what it is worth.
hank

More
07 Dec 2012 13:02 #14 by Hank Onthewater
Paul mentioned that the real issue for going bush and staying there for a while is not the qty of fuel, but the amount of water that can be carried. I agree.
How much should one carry? How much could one carry?
I have not done any extensive bush trips beyond one week, but on a boat I have as minimum 5 lt per person per day. Ten litres per day is comfortable and do-able on most boats.

If one goes beyond the black stump with 2 people for 4 weeks..... that is 30 days x 2 persons x 5 litres = 300 litres...... minimum. Where can we fit such tanks(s)? Either side of the diff.?
Eh... maybe this post could have it own thread.... 'water tanks'?
hank

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
15 Dec 2012 12:06 #15 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
Hank
We carry 190 litres of water, two 70l tanks where the drivers side fuel tank would go and a third tank of 50 litres where the spare usually is.
Our second fuel tank is 140 litres and is between the LHS chassis rail and the transmission. I simply pump fuel from it to the main tank as required.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
16 Dec 2012 06:53 #16 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
We carry 280L of water (plus a 70L grey tank + 14L in the HWS that is unusable + 20L in the toilet).

We also carry 280L of diesel. That is generally plenty and the tendency is to carry more than necessary. 170L of the diesel is in 2 plastic tanks that fit where the spare wheel used to be.

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

• Away
More
16 Dec 2012 07:04 #17 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Ah forgot the grey tank, hws and loo, 25l grey, 20l in the HWS (which I can get out if desperate, just operate the pressure relief valve on the tank and catch it where its hose exits underneath), plus the loo cannister holds about 20l of contents.

More
17 Dec 2012 11:32 #18 by Hank Onthewater
Fueltanks
I have not ordered the alu tanks (as yet), but at the same time, to have 380-500 lt of fuel on board is nice to have, with the 500 figure being over the top perhaps. Or a necessity......if one installs a beast of an engine that guzzles diesel like a alcoholic does his favourite beverage.

Watertanks
I have two 90 lt watertanks in my trailer. I like what the 2 Peters, Margaret and Sandra wrote: 200 to 300 litres of water, all divided over smaller tanks, so if one gets punctured..... I think something to do with eggs in one basket.

Other tanks
Geez, black water, grey water, hot water, air tank, can we think of any more? Port barrel, wine vat, beer keg?
Maybe I should, before I do anything with fueltanks, I look at the whole tank issue: find a best compromise on all these tanks, and then do it all together.
So if you have any ideas, drawings, photos, opinions, post it please.
Hank

• Away
More
17 Dec 2012 11:52 #19 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Hank I installed a grey water tank so that while we try not to frequent such places it is sometimes unavoidable we can stay at places that do not allow grey water to be discharged on site.
Sort of like the increasing number of places that require you to have a toilet to camp there.
Ours is relatively small at 25l but is sufficient for the sink, we don't as yet have an internal shower but it may come one day which will then require a larger grey tank.
Our 25l one sits between the rear wheel and the fuel tank on the LHS, the sink is directly above it so minimal plumbing required. It is a plastic one made to suit the spot.
I do have an identical one left which is excess to requirements.

More
17 Dec 2012 13:51 #20 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
Not sure if one of these would fit.

650 x 480mm Rectangular Fuel Tank